cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

don't know how to get PHP to work with this strange cgi server setup

rennies

don't know how to get PHP to work with this strange cgi server setup

Hi there,
after about 5 calls to tech support and a lengthy discussion on the plus.net support site, I have finally managed to get access to the cgi/php server.
I am an experienced web designer and have developed complex content management websites that utilize MySQL. I have been given access to use the provided web space for my client's new website which is to include dynamic elements.
I just cannot figure out how to use this strange system where 2 servers are in use...
On the actual web server, where HTML pages are looked up by calling a domain name, such as www.blabla.co.uk, I can only read htm or html pages.
However, I need to be able to display the latest 5 entries of the events page on the homepage (which are pulled from a database by using PHP and SQL statements). The php for beginners page only suggests that scripts can be called by clicking a link to the CGI server. I don't want web visitors to click a link though, I want them to be able to see them immediately.
2 mins ago, a very helpful support guy suggested I should use the include statement. This, of course, will not work in html files as html files cannot read php statements.
Any ideas?
thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: don't know how to get PHP to work with this strange cgi server setup

1) If you intend to use PHP then you should use only the ccgi webspace for the website. You can arrange to point the companies domain name to their CCGI webspace. See this for info on seting up the DNS records to do this.
2) PHP files on the CCGI server must have the correct permissions. PlusNet have written a script to set the correct permissions on php files. It is called fixphpperms.sh and must be run from the Shell prompt on the ccgi space. this and this tutorial explains how to access your ccgi command prompt.
When there you run fixphpperms.sh -r
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

One thing I forgot (thanks Jelv ) is you must be on a PusNet IP to access CCGI via FTP/Telnet. So if you are maintainng the website from a non-plusnet IP you can't do what I suggested.
Are you on PN or some other ISP connection?
rennies

I am their web designer and I am using my own provider which isn't Plusnet...  Sad
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

In which case PN hosting is not suitable for what you want to do. You will need to find alternate external hosting which you can then access.
ffupi
Grafter

Ask them to give you their dial-in details to their PlusNet account. Dial in and access ccgi with FileZilla and PuTTY. Upload phpshell (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,46213.msg392716.html#msg392716). And off you go from your access.