cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain hosting

samgregkt
Grafter

domain hosting

Hi Guys, PN have suggested that I change my service to 'unlimited'. Although they've said that my webspace & hosting won't be affected I'm still a little worried that someting might happen. Of course it's impossible to read all of the small print, any assurance or advice will be graciously received.
Best regards, Mick
12 REPLIES 12
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: unlimited?

You should retain all your current 'accessories', I did but a little reassurance from PN is always good.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bfj007

domain hosting

I want to upgrade my account to Plusnet Unlimited but keep on getting conflicting answers from plusnet support about domain hosting. The package I originally signed up for allowed hosting for 5 free domains. Even though I've upgraded before, I have been assured in writing that any legacy product features will be carried across to the new account type.  I have only used 1 of the domains, but now want plusnet to host another 2.  I have been told by support that I cannot host any domains at all, and will even lose my existing domain.
I found this answer on the FAQ:
Plusnet Unlimited/Essentials FAQ - December 2012
I’m using ‘extras’ that aren’t offered any more e.g. webspace, fax-2-email, hosted domains. If I request an account change will I keep these extras?
Yes, any legacy product features will be carried across to the new account type.
Is there anyone in plusnet who can tell me the exact official position, as I am going round in circles with support staff.
Thanks
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: domain hosting

Mod Note
Topics merged as they are asking the same question.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If it help allay any fears, I've upgraded twice now, once from PAYG 2Gb to Value and then to Unlimited and have retained all my legacy 'extras'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The only qualification one needs to be aware of is that I believe the rule is that legacy features actually in use are retained, but those not in use might be lost.
@Mick Assuming the above comment is not an issue I can't see any reason for not upgrading to Unlimited. I changed from PAYG to Extra then Unlimited, webspace, hosting and static IP retained. Fax-2-Email I didn't use and allowed to lapse.
David
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have upgraded through several product generations, finally to 'unlimited', and retained all the legacy features after each step.
I did take the precaution before each upgrade, to ensure that every feature was being actively used and was working.
I see no reason why you should have any trouble, although you might want to take a backup of your webspace just in case !
Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd try to add the new domains to the existing account first, then look to move to unlimited. If you switch to Unlimited first you definitely won't be able to add domains.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bfj007

Hi,
I have tried adding the new domains first as suggested here and by pn support, but it did not work. When I raised a ticket I was then told  that it was no longer possible despite being assured in writing that I would retain this option before my last product change. I would certainly have transferred  in these domains before moving to another product.
Perhaps pn support should get a bit of training on this legacy issue for old accounts so that they are all singing from the same hymn sheet.
regards
Brian
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think you've fallen foul of this:
Quote from: spraxyt
The only qualification one needs to be aware of is that I believe the rule is that legacy features actually in use are retained, but those not in use might be lost.

So you could keep your existing domains but not add new.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
samgregkt
Grafter

Once again many thanks for all of your help & advice . I'll take everthing on board.
Best regards, Mick.
pcathomerepairs
Grafter

one thing to remember and i have been caught with this
if you're installing open source software remember that not  all features will be
compatible with PN Legacy platforms
mwwilson

Webspace may be retained but apparently not all the 'extras' can be.
Fixed IP cannot be retained across a package update to 'essentials' (unless someone from PN would like to contradict this for me ).