cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the new platform support shopping cart?

johnbweb

does the new platform support shopping cart?

Have been trying to install OpenCart  (http://www.opencart.com)  on one of my hosted domains on PlusNet but despite checking all settings and permissions several times I can't get the install script to run.  Sad
The requirements for OpenCart are PHP5 and MySQL. I have set up a new database in MySQL.
When I upload a simple  phpinfo.php  file to this hosted domain I get no result when I access this file.
Does this mean that the new platform still doesn't support this shopping cart?
If anyone reading this knows, or has any suggestions, I would be most grateful.
Thanks!  Smiley
John
19 REPLIES 19
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: does the new platform support shopping cart?

If the phpinfo.php test file won't run it seems likely that any other file won't run either, so the problem you have is most unlikely to be specific to that application. When you try to access the phpinfo.php what error message do you get?
David
johnbweb

Thanks for the reply.
I don't get any message.
When I specify the full file path  (ending in phpinfo.php) my browser tries to open that file. It offers to open it with wordpad, which then shows me the content of that file.
When I do the same with the same file on another domain (not hosted by PN), it automatically gives me the detailed page with info about which version of PHP, conmfiguration, etc.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Forgive me for checking the obvious, but you have uploaded the file to cshell.plus.net I presume?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
johnbweb

Hi, nothing is obvious to me, as I'm slowly finding my way around!
I've not tried uploading my test file (phpinfo.php)  to cshell.plus.net - only to a test directory under one of my hosted domains on PN.
That's what I did with it on a domain hosted on a shared server somewhere else.
All I've done with my PN attempts is:
a)  created a MySQL database (through the PN website)
b)  set the server to 'rumpus' and logged in and saw that the database had been created
c)  ftp'd the shopping cart installation files at  ftp.plus.net  into /htdocs/myhosteddomain
d)  when I then point my browser at these installation files the OpenCart installation should commence (that's how it works when I use another domain, on a shared server elsewhere)
e)  my browser can see all the files in that folder, but the installation won't start
I guess it's me doing something wrong, and I'm assuming the setup with PN might be different from another shared host.
But as I'm a newbie, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows if the PN facilities are actually suitable.
Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Unfortunately you've put your files onto the Homepages server which does not support PHP (only HTML). PHP files need to be on the ccgi server. Have you activated your ccgi space using the CGI icon on the Member Centre Website settings page?
The activation email gives information on how to access that server.
David
johnbweb

Ah, that might be why I'm not getting anywhere.  Embarrassed
On the CGI server I can ftp to  ccgi.username.plus.com
Is that where I should upload my OpenCart files to?
The idea is to have this work with my domain, which PN have so kindly been hosting for me for some time.
I've been able to use my PN webspace and hosted domain for my html site, which has been OK-ish for the past few years, but the time has come to get a proper shopping cart.
Should I set up a new MySQL database again after I have ftp'd to the ccgi space?
Are there any other pitfalls or monsters lurking in this process?
many thanks for your kind replies!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: johnbweb
On the CGI server I can ftp to  ccgi.username.plus.com
Is that where I should upload my OpenCart files to?

Yes, that's correct. cshell.plus.net leads to the same place once you've logged in but using the location you mentioned is fine. You might want to create a folder to put the OpenCart files into.
I suggest making sure your phpinfo.php test file works initially.
Should I set up a new MySQL database again after I have ftp'd to the ccgi space?

No, the database you've already created is OK, the MYSQL database is on a separate server from ccgi. You will use a suitable prefix for table names to avoid clashes with any other database content. The OpenCart installation script probably provides a default prefix.
Are there any other pitfalls or monsters lurking in this process?

Probably - but for starters file permissions and the content of any .htaccess files need to be carefully considered. A read of the cgi platform php upgrade faq might be helpful. You might find using Gabe's script linked to in that article convenient for setting directory and file permissions properly. If the OpenCart installation instructions suggest making directories and/or files chmod 0777 - *don't*. The suEXEC security model will not allow running as user if any file or folder is writeable by anyone but the owner.
David
David
johnbweb

That sounds doable, even for a newbie.
I'll have a go at that and see if I can put my free PN webspace to good use.
Thanks v much for taking the trouble to respond & share your wisdom - much appreciated!  Smiley
John
editpoint
Grafter

Did you have any luck with this because i cant get it to run the install script?
They say in doumentation to set some files to 755 but I have set them to 750 as per the ccgi faq above.
Wont work though!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

In what way will it not work? Do you get any messages, and if so what are they?
What directories do you see when you FTP to the site you uploaded the installation package to?
David
David
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Remember... folders 0710 or 0750 but scripts must be 0700 or they will not run.
editpoint
Grafter

Hi
I just get a server error 500 straightaway.
All the files have been uploaded to the right place - i can see them all along with my site.
Ive called the folder "store" . i go to http://ccgi.mysite.plus.com/store/ ; and get the server error. Also tried http://ccgi.mysite.plus.com/store/index.php
pretty sure it must be something to do with permissions but it doesn't get very far and no informative error messages.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I assume you've set permissions on directory /store to 0710 (or 0750 at most)? Do you have a .htaccess file in your ccgi root or the /store directory? If so are the permissions on those 0640 and do they contain any disallowed options (see the FAQ)?
If you put a php_info.php file into your /store directory containing
<?php
phpinfo();
?>
set its permissions to 0700, and call it in your browser will that run?
David
editpoint
Grafter

hi
Permissions on /store at 750.
htaccess in  / store has:
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)\?*$ index.php?_route_=$1 [L,QSA]
phpinfo works in ccgi root but not in /store