cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing DNS settings to use Office365

Tom4c

changing DNS settings to use Office365

Hi,
I can't  see how to raise a support ticket anymore so I'll try the forum...
I'm hoping to use my PN registered/managed .co.uk domain with Office365.  Initially that means adding an MX item to my DNS Record to prove ownership.  I've made the changes in the PN MC and I'm waiting patiently for the 12 hours to elapse.  Then, I need to either:

• Change the Nameserver (the simplest option), or

• Change several MX, CNAME, TXT, SRV and A DNS records

Is this going to be possible?
Many thanks in advance,
Tom.
6 REPLIES 6
Tom4c

Re: changing DNS settings to use Office365

Quick update,
The MX entry has done its job and proved my ownership.  I now need to change the nameservers to:

• ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com

• ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com

Pleeease tell me that's possible!
avatastic
Grafter

I'm not sure it is possible to change the nameservers on a PN hosted domain. You may have to move your domain from PN to another provider. Personally, I use Fasthosts and 1and1. Fasthosts because they were cheapest at the time I moved a domain years ago but that may not be the case now, and 1and1 because they let me set IPv6 glue.
I'm also not sure why you'd need to put your name servers in O365's hands for them to manage your mail, but if that's what they're asking...
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Tom4c
I now need to change the nameservers to:

• ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com

• ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com

Pleeease tell me that's possible!

It's not. Our domain control system doesn't allow it so the only way to achieve this would be to transfer ownership of the domain to another registrar.
Quote from: Tom4c
  • Change several MX, CNAME, TXT, SRV and A DNS records

It's not possible to update TXT/SRV records, but you can change the others.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tom4c

Avatastic, Bob,
Many thanks for your quick and definitive replies.  That's saved me a lot of valuable time and effort, which is most appreciated.  I shall now transfer the domain to 123-reg, which is a free transfer, and the registrar allows me to change the required DNS records.
@ Avatastic: there are two routes to configuring my domain for use with Office365.  The simplest is to change the nameserver, and O365 do the rest.  The more complex option, which retains control at PN, is to modify a number of MX, CNAME, TXT, SRV and A DNS records.  Unfortunately, as I've learnt, neither option are possible - the PN MC doesn't provide the capapbility to change the namserver or TXT/SRV records.
avatastic
Grafter

I don't know if it's still the case, but a while ago 123-reg were free to transfer in to but charged to transfer from should you decide that $OTHER_REGISTRAR is cheaper / offering better services.
With 123-reg, however you will be able to set the nameserver to O365 (I used to have my name server set to myself with the domains I had there long ago). I'm not sure about TXT/SRV records if you want to go the complex option and retain some control, however as you've still got ultimate control of the domain, you can always switch back to using 123-reg's dns hosting any time you like.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

123-reg are ok but i've noticed that they hide their renewal prices - the price list is for the first year of registration...
Anyhow their domain config is pretty good. I set my nameservers for my domain to freedns.afraid.org - a free dns system that offers advanced config of .txt, spf, A, AAA, MX, NS etc. The only snag is that your domain is shared (unless you pay) which allows others to create a subdomain based on your domain..
Anyhow if you go to 123-reg be sure to find out about their renewal prices and transfer out charges as they have a licence to hold your domain to ransom it appears..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!