cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cgi space and webspace confusion

Flexing

cgi space and webspace confusion

him this is prolly gonna sound really stupid...i'vre recently had the cgi activated...and i have the FTP details to use in dreamweaver etc...my question is, is this seperate to ur normal webspace (username.plus.com)? as in if i want a site that uses cgi...will it then be on (ccgi.username.plus.com) or do u just upload ur pages to the normal space, and the cgi pages to the ccgi.username.plus.com) area.
i hope that makes sense.
13 REPLIES 13
ffupi
Grafter

Re: cgi space and webspace confusion

On ccgi you can use anything which needs a software called php to be running. Php-scripts go there. Or content management systems like Joomla, they also need to connect to MySQL, so that needs to be activated as well. Html-code can also be put there. If Dreamweaver generates scripts, then it goes there as well.
Flexing

thanks for your reply and for helping clear that up. sorted, i have activated mysql aswell recently.
one other thing...how much space is on there? is ur webspace amount across both areas?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Assuming you are on BBYW, you have 250MBytes of webspace which you can split between www, ccgi and FP servers.
In practice the ccgi webspace is not really checked like your www webspace but your site could be archived if you exceed your allowance on either www or ccgi.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi, Now im going to ask a even thicker question now HOW the hell do i get on the the ccgi.username.f9.co.uk so i can enter a script pls and next is what is the FP server for. (yes dont say it thick or what ;D) regs Andy
ffupi
Grafter

You need an ftp-programme to upload stuff. Tutorial here: http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/18 . I use FileZilla. You also need shell access, PuTTY is good.
FP is something with FrontPage extensions, a propietary program to design webpages - generates awful code.
OshB5
Grafter

Hi, Right ive now found out what the FP stands for and also found out how to get on to the CGI and put files in there. But all with no avail as i have a guest book script and uploaded it as said but still cannot get it to work I will have to do some more reading. tThanks anyway Regs Andy
ffupi
Grafter

Why does the script not work? Did you already chmod it to 750? What is the error message?
OshB5
Grafter

The script i used is and is Active guestbok I followed the inst  ins which said install the script into a new dir "guestbook" which i was told to make in my cgi-bin folder. I then chmod all needed folders and files to 755 as suggested, I did this and followed the inst ins again and ran the script from IE up came the page and it wanted input into the guestbook When i put info in and tried to submit qeary all I get is 20e
Internal Server Error so dont know where i am going wrong. I also tried to get into the setup as it sugested and it just keeps taking me back to the input page Regs Andy
ffupi
Grafter

Hello
On my ccgi space are no problems. I downloaded the guestbook from the webpage, unzipped it, created in cgi-bin on my ccgi-space the folder guestbook, uploaded the single file guestbook.cgi with FileZilla in the transfer type Auto - they say to use ASCII mode - , chmod to 755 the directory guestbook and the file guestbook.cgi. I then browsed to the file and everything works (I am on PlusNet, so it is http://ccgi.username.plus.com/cgi-bin/guestbook/guestbook.cgi ).
Just try it again from scratch.
Hope this helps
Adam1V
Grafter

I activated my CGI / SQL around 2 months ago. Prior to that ive never used CGI / PHP / SQL before. I now have multiple guest books, 2 forums, and 3/4 feedback forms.
I had many a problems myself and kinda found my way out of them ok. 9 times out of 10 it was down to permissions, most php files wants to me chmod at 755.
If your stuck, drop me an email at adam.venn @ bridgesltd.co.uk i'd be happy to help.
Its quite annoying how you have to send people to a different address from your original website.
IanD
Grafter

How do I get the correct ftp settings in to DreamWeaver?
I can update to the www part without any problem, but cannot work out how to get the ccgi settings loaded correctly.
I've looked at my home settings using Putty and tried copying them in, but I'm not sure if this is correct.
IanD
Grafter

Finally managed to get Dreamweaver talking to the testing server  Smiley
Looking at this, can I just point the website at the testing server to run php files etc placed there?
Adam1V
Grafter

Depending on what your doing yes.
I have a feedback form hosted on my www. site which executes the .php file hosting on my ccgi section.
Within the cgi file is a line to point the user back to www.mydomain.com/thankyou.html after the php file has been executed.
If you need any help, drop me an email barteh@gmail.com