cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.cfm extensions no longer supported by PlusNet?

pianola

.cfm extensions no longer supported by PlusNet?

I don't know whether there is anyone out there who might be able to help. I've raised a question at PlusNet, but it's over two days now, and I should think it isn't one they can easily solve.
In the last month or so, my entire website has displayed only as the underlying html coding, as text in any browser window. I run it as a volunteer for an educational charity, the Pianola Institute, at www.pianola.org, and it is ranked top on most Googles, after Wikipedia. When I took over the running of the website in 2002, I cloned a now defunct site that was used by one of the London concert halls, and all the pages had .cfm extensions instead of .html. It doesn't matter so much to me what extension I use, except that there are eleven pages of Google links to my existing site. That's taken nine years and a lot of work to achieve.
I have uploaded a complete duplicate site with .html extensions, which is fine if someone enters at the home page, but all the other search engine links are now wrong. I can't use a redirect, because the PlusNet server seems not to treat .cfm as coding any more, but simply as text, so no html commands will work.
Any bright ideas very gratefully received. Just so you know what level I'm at, I'm a 62 year old musician, and an expert in 6502 machine code, but not well versed in modern computer languages, although html is no problem.  I use BB Edit on a Mac G4.
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: .cfm extensions no longer supported by PlusNet?

You should be able to do it with rewrite rules in your htaccess file.
Hopefully someone will who knows how to do this will pass by soon - it's not something I've had to do myself.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gabe
Grafter

Or just
AddType text/html .cfm

If you save that as homepages.htaccess, upload it to htdocs as ascii and delete 'homepages' so it's just called .htaccess on the server, that should fix it.
Gabe
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Ah, good!
Quote from: jelv
Hopefully someone will who knows how to do this will pass by soon

Gabe was the person I had in mind!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pianola

I'm more or less speechless with gratitude and relief! I had an .htacess file anyway, since I block piratical usages of the graphics files on my website. Anyway, I added it at the top of the file, and BINGO!
If you would like some nice music in return for your kindness, I do have some classical mp3s hidden away from Google. By all means send me a private message if you wish, and I'll send you the link.
Thank you again, folks.