cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ccgi space

community
Grafter

ccgi space

I have been told by plusnet that my webspace allotment is oversubscribed.
After 3 separate exchanges of ticket info where, basically I have told them that according to my
"htdocs"file I have not exceeded the 250 MB I am allowed, they now ask "am I sure that there is not more usage in my "ccgi space".
I have asked them what this means but before I get a reply, does anyone know what this is and how can I reduce it or take ot out?
I have no idea what ccgi space is.
cheers.
22 REPLIES 22
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: ccgi space

If you don't know what ccgi is I'm 99.9% certain that you are not using it!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
community
Grafter

Thanks jelv
I wonder what the Plusnet Team are playing at then.......surely they would know....
I am puzzled and a little sad that they did not see for  themselves before scaring me  Undecided
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just taken a look and when adding up the data in your webspace I only come to around 180MB, I'll forward the ticket up to our networks team to see if they can explain the difference.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Chris: Did you check for anything outside of htdocs (e.g. log files)?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

They were checked jelv and due to their negligible size I'd be surprised anyway if they brought the total up to 250MB+

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd have been surprised as well but I wondered if they were not rotating correctly.
Another thought - have you checked the original message? It is over space usage, not over bandwidth (we've seen that confusion before)?
Boxersoft
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How do we go about checking the amount of CCGI space we're using - does the figure in the "Website Settings" page in Member Centre include both the Hompages and CCGI amounts? Do we have fixed limits of CCGI space specifically, or does the 250MB limit apply to the sum of both and can be shared as we wish? What about MySQL space?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Boxersoft
How do we go about checking the amount of CCGI space we're using

I don't think there's any way to do this using the portal although I could be wrong.
Quote from: Boxersoft
does the figure in the "Website Settings" page in Member Centre include both the Hompages and CCGI amounts?

As above, no I don't believe it does.
Do we have fixed limits of CCGI space specifically, or does the 250MB limit apply to the sum of both and can be shared as we wish?

The intention originally was to have your allowance split between the two platforms however you see best. This isn't how it works in practice though and the system only monitors the Homepages space. We do pro-actively get in touch with anybody deemed to be using too much of their allocated CGI space though so it isn't a free for all. The policing of the CGI platform just isn't done using automated scripts.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

You telnet in to ccgi and do a du -s... Oh hang on a bit, four months after we were promised a shiny new server with PHP 5 quite soon we are still not there and the new sever won't have ssh or telnet access.
Yhe 250MB limit applies to both the normal homepages and ccgi usage, but the figure shown on the portal is for homepages only - go figure!
I don't believe mySQL usage is counted.
Edit: Bob types faster than me!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: jelv
You telnet in to ccgi and do a du -s... Oh hang on a bit, four months after we were promised a shiny new server with PHP 5 quite soon we are still not there and the new sever won't have ssh or telnet access.

Jelv, not wanting to derail this thread but the new platform is pretty much up and running. I could have launched details about it before Christmas but it would have been cutting it fine and didn't seem sensible the day I was embarking on a week's leave! Wink
You're right about the SSH/Telnet access though. I'll drop you a PM...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Opening up access just before Xmas - everybody off work with plenty of spare time to give it a good bashing - you on holiday - reduced CSC staff levels - no that wouldn't have been a good plan! Wink
Boxersoft
Rising Star

So would it be fair to summarise as:

• We're supposed to use no more than 250MB in total across both platforms

• There's no provision for checking how much we're using on the CCGI platform

• Database storage doesn't count towards the 250MB

... and the bottom line is just try not to go mad with, and Da Management will let us know if and when we overdo it?
Boxersoft
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv

I take it that it's still possible to telnet to the existing CCGI server then? I tried to do so to cshell.plus.net but I get "connect failed". Is it a different address, perhaps including the username or something?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No ssh or telnet access is possible on the existing ccgi server. Only FTP is currently supported.