cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ccgi server down (8th Sept)

Tony_W
Grafter

ccgi server down (8th Sept)

I phoned business support because I could get no response from the ccgi server either via htpp or ftp.
They said that they did not know what to do as they were only a skeleton staff.
I checked with http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ and my website is definitely unavailable.
Can someone please re=boot the box?
Tony
8 REPLIES 8
Tony_W
Grafter

Re: ccgi server down

Seems to be up again now.
Tony
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi Tony,
Sorry about this, I'd have expected more of a comprehensive/helpful response from the guys on nights. I'll have a word with those who were on shift last night to make sure there aren't any 'gaps in understanding' that need filling! Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

oliverb
Grafter

Is that testing site accurate? Years ago I tried a site monitoring service that used to regularly report downtime when I was confident the site was up and I got the impression the thing was just a ruse to promote their hosting service.
Tony_W
Grafter

It's down again from 10:36 this morning.
Yes, the testing site is accurate.
Tony
Tony_W
Grafter

Re: ccgi server down (8th Sept)

It's back up now. I phoned business support and they could access it even though I could not.
I could access every other site I tried - this forum, google, the BBC, Abbey National etc.
I also could not access ccgi.username.force9.co.uk when they asked me to.
The 'is it down for everyone or just me' site is now indicating that it is back up and running.
Tony
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

ccgi is a number of different servers front ended by a load balancer. It could be that just one of them isn't working and hence you see an intermittent response depending on which server you reach.
I've add code to my forum to display the server IP address in the footer of every page. I've seen the servers 212.159.7.202, 212.159.7.205 and 212.159.7.208 in the last few minutes. I don't know how many there are in all.
On the old ccgi platform Colin Ogilvie had a utility that displayed the time being reported by all the servers - this was useful for identifying if servers were down. I don't think it's been updated for the new server names/IP addresses.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tony_W
Grafter

Thanks for the reminder Jelv. The address used to be http://ccgi.csogilvie.plus.com/dates.php before the ccgi upgrade, but that, as you say, no longer works.
It was very useful if one of the servers was down or was set to an incorrect time.
Tony
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Tony
It's down again from 10:36 this morning.

The CGI servers restart themselves if they stop responding. It could be that something happened to a server and it bounced. We didn't spot anything flagged by our monitoring platform.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵