cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ccgi replacement with PHP5

dsilva

ccgi replacement with PHP5

Does anyone know if there is a real chance of the new cgi server with PHP5 being announced in the near future?
The service status hopes that it will be "shortly" but it also gives 3/2/2010 as the date for the next update on the service status pages.  Clearly we're well past that without any information....
My site on the ccgi server needs PHP5 and I don't know if it sensible to wait!!
Hoping for good news....
Thanks,
Richard
29 REPLIES 29
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: ccgi replacement with PHP5

The service status was updated on Friday 5th March. See http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1267776153.htm.
Partly answers your questions, though not the complete answer you were looking for.
David
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On 11th September 2009 they published a service status update that included:
It's increasingly likely that we'll be able to provide access to a new updated CGI service within the next week or so, this will include PHP5 and Apache 2. Perl and it's related modules will also be upgraded along with the rest of the platform.

I bit before that I posted a comment on the previous update:
Quote from: jelv
The service status posted at the top of this topic sort of implied that things would be moving along fairly quickly.
We're looking to perform the first backend stages of the upgrade within the next few days. We'll advise you of any further timescales once they are available.
Once we have any further updates on this platform or more details of the upgrades we will post a service status update.

Have the first backend stages been completed or (as I guess a few of us suspected) it's going to be quite a while before the work is completed and the cshell access restored? (My feeling is that we will be fortunate if this completed this side of Christmas given the tone of Gricey's post which says the options are still being investigated)
I think an update with realistic timescales is overdue.

which got this response:
Quote from: Bob
jelv, we're hoping to have something to play with next week. Once we're happy with the new build we can unleash it on the masses.
The thinking at the moment is that we do something similar to what we did last time. For those that can't remember that far back this involved having a second hostname for the new platform that we ran in tangent alongside the old offering. We then allowed a certain period of time for customers to move their content across before flipping DNS.
Everything will be communicated via email so should be a lot clearer nearer the time.
We appreciate everybody's patience as we're only too aware of the short notice we've had to give this time round.

Judge for yourself how much you can rely on the latest update.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: dsilva
Does anyone know if there is a real chance of the new cgi server with PHP5 being announced in the near future?

I'd put money on it being really quite soon. Judging by what appears to be happening this weekend, I wouldn't expect to see the old platform again.
I hope whoever's sorting this one out is tanked up on all the pizza, chocolate cake and red bull PN can provide.
Gabe
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Just a tad more patience guys. Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Tony_W
Grafter

I dread PN just replacing with a PHP5 ccgi - I remember the permissions issues with the PAYH trial that wasted days of my time.
I would prefer a working version of the existing ccgi system to be available alongside the new system. Then I could bring the PHP5 one on line incrementally, testing each section thoroughly as I go.
If it was a case of just a few coding differences, then I can handle that, but I want to be up-and-running with my business while I sort it out and properly test it.
Tony
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Gabe
I'd put money on it being really quite soon. Judging by what appears to be happening this weekend, I wouldn't expect to see the old platform again.

Right on the mark Gabe.
I hope whoever's sorting this one out is tanked up on all the pizza, chocolate cake and red bull PN can provide.

Cheesy
Quote from: Tony
I would prefer a working version of the existing ccgi system to be available alongside the new system. Then I could bring the PHP5 one on line incrementally, testing each section thoroughly as I go.

That's not going to be possible now I'm afraid given the nature of the problems we encountered on Friday Sad
We will of course try our darnedest to make the transition as seamless as possible!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

marku
Grafter

Any chance you could give us the 'worst case' scenario as to when it will be back. It's just we are also trying to manage expectations,
thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Tony
If it was a case of just a few coding differences, then I can handle that,  …

Is having register_globals OFF likely to cause problems - I anticipate that will be off on the new system since having this on has security implications.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: marku
Any chance you could give us the 'worst case' scenario as to when it will be back. It's just we are also trying to manage expectations,

I reckon they'll be some severely slapped wrists if we're not back up and running by tomorrow! Wink
Quote from: spraxyt
Is having register_globals OFF likely to cause problems - I anticipate that will be off on the new system since having this on has security implications.

We were discussing having it switched on, let me get back to you on that...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

BJepson
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt

Is having register_globals OFF likely to cause problems -

Yes, probably, since we haven't had the time or the platform availability to test existing scripts with register_globals off.
Gabe
Grafter

It currently appears to be ON.
I agree it should be OFF by default, but that may be something to change later.
Gabe
BJepson
Grafter

Quote from: Bob

That's not going to be possible now I'm afraid given the nature of the problems we encountered on Friday Sad

I would be interested to know what sort of problem with the old system made it preferable to replace the whole server rather than to fix the insecurity and reload the data.  Of course I may be guilty of confusing what is preferable for PN with what is preferable for PN's customers.  Sad :
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: BJepson
I would be interested to know what sort of problem

See original definition of fubar.
Replacement gets more customer sites back up more quickly than trying to recreate the old platform too closely.
Gabe
BJepson
Grafter

See original definition of fubar.

Failed UniBus Address Register in a VAX.  I know it was an old system but not that old  Wink
Oops, sorry for going OT.

Replacement gets more customer sites back up more quickly than trying to recreate the old platform too closely.

If its not a hardware fault then restoring backups would be quicker than rebuild.  (sorry can't find the smiley to indicate the irony of an IT professional suggesting that systems should backed up just in case. Obvioulsy we all keep backups.)