cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband usage

samgregkt
Grafter

broadband usage

Does my webspace traffic increase my Broadband usage? I ask this because I've been charged an extra £5 on my home broadband bill this month.
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: broadband usage

Not a simple answer
Traffic to and from your website by others doesn't count but traffic between you and your website does
If it was only going over in the last day or so of your billing month have you considered setting your extra spend to zero
If you are hitting the limit a bit frequently have you thought of upgrading your product
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi Jim, many thanks for your reply. Whats interesting is that I haven't done anything on my website for over month. This is the message I received from PN before archiving the site. 
Dear Customer,
It has come to our attention that in the last 24 hours your website has exceeded its bandwidth allowance by a significant amount.
Unfortunately, because of the amount over the limit, your site has been archived.  Please contact us through the website if you want your site to be restored. - we cannot do this by email or over the telephone.
Your website used 72669 KB OVER its bandwidth transfer allowance during the last 24 hours.

Is there any appeal process.
Best regards, Mick
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Do you have any webstats at all to see what kind of traffic you have going through your website?
I'm wondering if the limit has been exceeded due to a high amount of traffic visiting your website?
You'll need to raise a support ticket to us in order for us to get this sorted out for you though. You can do this at http://contactus.plus.net - feel free to fire away any questions you've got for us on the support ticket too.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hi Mick,
Your daily traffic allowance will be 250MB. Has your visitor counter increased by a large number recently? Is anyone likely to have hot linked to any of your photographs (or posted a link to any of them in a forum)?
David
David
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi Chris & David. It's unlikely that anyone would have hot linked to any of the photographs. I did have some backing music on the site which I've now removed just in case that was causing the problem. I've attached a image of my usage if that helps, to me it looks pretty normal.
I'd really like my website back.......pleeeease.
Best regards, Mick.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just replied to your ticket.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Hi Mick,
The number of visitors has increased since my last visit which I imagine was around 3 months ago, though not by an exceptional number. Those stats don't look out of the ordinary, but they only show HTML files, not images (or music). One would need the raw logs to pick the latter up (which I doubt you have).
One of the images in your gallery is 1MB, rather wasteful since it is scaled to 20% for presentation on the page. Doesn't look to be a candidate for hot linking though.
David
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have just flicked through the pages on your site and logged about 3MB usage
With an allowance of 250MB it only needs about 80 visitors over a day to hit your limit
Edit - unfortunate error corrected
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Broomhill_Bank_002.jpg is 1,049.79 kB!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: Oldjim
With an allowance of 250MB it only needs about 80 visitors over a month to hit your limit

The transfer allowance is 250MB daily, not monthly so rather more generous.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

whoops - corrected
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Google image search finds Broomhill_Bank_002.jpg - I wonder how much the search engine spiders are pushing up the daily usage!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
samgregkt
Grafter

Hi Guys & many thanks for all of the info. I'll remove the Broomhill bank image to try & eliviate the problem. I'ts such a pain as my site has again been archived after only one day back up & running. Pleaeeeese PN can I have it back!
Best regards all,
Mick
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I suggest changing the big images to smaller ones - I think that two have been identified.
There is no need for 2MB images on a web page