Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any hosting suggestions

chesterfield
Grafter

any hosting suggestions

Hi,
Used to be a regular on these forums, and am a decade long customer of PN - hoping that the people of this commuity can help me.
I am looking to switch hosts away from our current provider for a car club that I run.  The reason being that last month there was a technical fault on our server and for some strange reason it has recorded over 4 terrabytes of usage in 2 days (which is physically impossible on the 100mbps connection the server has) the current hosts refuse to accept this was a technical glitch, even after I showed that the logs for the only client on the server (car club) has 130GB usage for the month (our limit is 2000GB).  Needless to say the invoice is being disputed as it is clearly a fault - but they are not having it (nor do I think they can understand it).
Therefore Im looking for the following:
20/30 GB Hard disk space
100mbit connection
minimum 300GB month transfer limit (though unlimited would be better to avoid the possibility of another error like the one above)
2GB ram burstable to more preferably
VPS is fine, as long as it can support a very busy forum (1m+ page views per month) currently running phpbb3 and would like to continue to do so.
MYSQL
preferably UK based call centres that can understand problems when raised.
God I wish PN did commercial hosting like this.  Im looking at anything around the £30 a month, so it will almost certainly be Virtual Server.
Any help really appreciated, as Im up against it with our curent hosts.  We are in danger of having our site shut down just two days before our big event where we are raising money for terminally ill children at Hope House.  To say Im gutted that these clowns at our current hosts cant understand that they have made an error is an understatement.  Ive been close to tears as the hard work for our impending event could be wasted  Cry
Really appreciate any help from people on here  Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: any hosting suggestions

Heard only good things about tsohost, though I'm not sure they offer the sort of hdd space you need even on the pro account. Might be worth contacting them though just to see if they can meet your needs - http://www.tsohost.co.uk/
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I use hosting at 123-reg, not had any problems with them. Website http://www.123-reg.co.uk/web-hosting/
Their unlimited package might meet your needs. Smiley
David
Gabe
Grafter

Not sure if it fits your bill, but I've found Mythic Beasts (on-line home of the Raspberry Pi, among other things) very helpful.
Gabe
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've had a great experience with http://www.linode.com. Their prices are in USD, but they have UK based servers too.
Control Panel is really nice, and their support has always been responsive.
avatastic
Grafter

a Bytemark VPS would do the trick.
If you want to keep the forum, I'd look at moving away from apache and towards using nginx + php-fpm for the smaller memory footprint.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Curiously I'm unsurprised at Plusnet's own PAYH.co.uk not being recommended for hosting. Over priced, minimal space and bandwidth. Massive re-think required. I've just opened a Hostpapa.co.uk account and the cPanel is a breeze compared to the plesk server that PAYH use. Will be migrating my other sites soon. PAYH also has out of date php software which is very annoying as you don't have the option to upgrade the likes of Joomla! CMS  Angry
Plusnet, time to kick some butt at PAYH the reseller package is a joke.
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Go pay a visit to mddhosting.com.  It is run by Mike who is the dogs ******** as far as running servers is concerning.  As for him being us based don't  worry about it.  I ran a vps with him and he must have stayed up all night a few times to get my vps under control.  My vps was receiving over 10 million page loads a month so we had to reduce the calls to the database (video site).  We conquered it too.  He won't over sell you anything either.  He will look at your needs and advise you from there.  Honestly I can't praise him or his service enough.  Don't take my word for it. Pay a visit to his forum - and others that have had dealings with him - and read up on the customer appraisals: http://forums.mddhosting.com/forum/8-customer-reviews/
IanSn
Rising Star

Shocked ...I wouldn't go near 123 in a million years!
my recommendation - www.visn.co.uk
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have had a CentOS VPS with Eukhost for years. It has been fantastic. They also offer a new Cloud service that automatically grows to fit your needs. I have not tried it but it certainly makes very interesting reading! http://www.eukhost.com/enlight/cloud-hosting.php