cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zencart

robwebb1

Zencart

Hi, I've had a simple html website for ages (mostly edited with Dreamweaver). I'm totally new to this more advanced php stuff.
Should Zencart work on my plusnet hosting?  I read an old post saying that plusnets php servers are not up-to-date enough for it or something?  Apparently Zencart neds php5.2 or newer?
I have activated mysql and cgi.  And the zencart installation doesn't work, just get a list of files and directories.
Any kind help for a Zencart newbie appreciated
Rob
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Zencart

Hi and welcome to the forums Smiley
It won't work on your CGI space I'm afraid as it isn't PHP5.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
robwebb1

thanks for your reply.
Is there another shopping cart which would work with my Plusnet CGI space and is easy for a newbie to use? 
And as an alternative, can someone recommend good-value hosting for a zencart installation?  There are so many out there with so many variables! 
Also is it possible to have 2 zencart installations (for 2 different trading names) on one of the budget hosting services, Hostgator 'hatching' for example?  I mean would it work if I just have the 2 installations on separate directories withing my webspace?
lackobrain
Dabbler

Hi Rob,
Are you running on the old ccgi platform or the payh platform? I tried quite a few products on both services and found zen-cart to be the most practical to setup, configure, administer & extend (certainly on the payh platform) I had problems with oscommerce & virtuemart on payh but both seemed fine on ccgi.
If you're stuck on going the ccgi route I would pickup Virtuemart (based on Joomla, very extensible & feature rich, good support from the Joomla community)
On the other hand, if your willing and able to transfer your site to the payh platform (is the trial still running?) then zen-cart should work well
I can't vouch for other providers hosting but certainly on payh you can install multiple zen-cart installations into the same mysql database provided you specify that the install prefix the table names at install time & park each installation in it's own subdirectory on the hosting server
robwebb1

lackobrain, thanks very much for taking the time to reply
Erm....  well Plusnet have given me space on cshell.plus.net, if that answers your question about what platform I'm on?  At the moment it just has a cgi-bin folder.  Sorry, I'm very new to all this and wasn't sure what ccgi and payh are, payh is www.payh.co.uk hosting service, right?
I was quite keen on Zencart as it seems so popular,
Rob
robwebb1

seems i need to read the 2x Sticky Topics to find out about ccgi and payh!  D'oh!