cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your PlusNet Website is over its bandwidth allowance

mkstevo
Grafter

Your PlusNet Website is over its bandwidth allowance

Had an email today suggesting that my website is over it's bandwidth allowance. I am slightly baffled by this as my site is quite small, it has a few photographs on it and some old freeware programs that were written for Windows '95, total site capacity probably less than 20Mb.

What are the bandwidth limits please? I've looked on the help pages and they suggest there is a site *size* limit of 250Mb or 500Mb, but can't find the bandwidth limits.

I've looked at my webstats for the site which has confused me further. Stragely, November and December are showing the same values for almost all sections of each of the monthly summary chart for both listed domains.

If anyone can help me track down the cause of my bandwidth problems, I'd be grateful if you could share your thoughts.

Month Daily Avg Monthly Totals
Hits Files Pages Visits Sites kB F Visits Pages Files Hits

Jan 2020 20 17 8 6 78 5265 84 114 244 284
Dec 2019 14 11 7 5 141 150159 154 222 354 425
Nov 2019 14 11 7 5 141 150159 154 222 354 425

Month Daily Avg Monthly Totals
Hits Files Pages Visits Sites kB F Visits Pages Files Hits

Jan 2020 43 32 12 10 198 542586 146 174 459 602
Dec 2019 52 40 13 10 442 14646 326 419 1251 1613
Nov 2019 53 41 13 10 442 14646 326 419 1251

12 REPLIES 12
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Your PlusNet Website is over its bandwidth allowance

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Everything Else.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
thejudge
Rising Star

I had this a couple of years or so back. Turns out that my entire site had been 'scraped' by some web-crawler (possibly more than once), which had put the site over the allowed bandwidth.

I added the following line to the .htaccess file in the root of the directory:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} wget [NC]

It hasn't happened again, but that might just be coincidence. Worth a try, though.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @mkstevo

From what I can see you have the 250Mb webspace on your account although from what we can see you're currently using less than 1% of this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
thejudge
Rising Star

My reading of the OP's post was not that his webspace was over the size limit, but that the traffic to it was, which was the same issue I had.

mkstevo
Grafter

The webspace statistics didn't seem right. Looking at my space I was using far, far in advance of the claimed usage close to 200Mb, yet the webspace suggested I was using zero%. I have since deleted some old pages and files which took up a lot of space and were no longer required which I hope will, in turn, reduce the bandwidth usage.

I'd still like to know three things:

What is the bandwidth allowance for personal webspace? (Not storage allowance of 250Mb or 500Mb, the monthly bandwidth [download?] allowance)

How do I interpret the statistics charts from my webstats, and how do they relate to the bandwidth allowance?

Is it not odd (and highly unlikely) that November and December's webstats are identical, for both reports for both my site(s)?

mkstevo
Grafter

Hello @thejudge . From what I can see, I don't have a .htaccess file?

Can I create a text file, with the contents of: RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} wget [NC]

and then save that into the root directory as .htaccess ?

Or is it that my FTP program isn't showing the file?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

File names starting with a dot are classed as hidden and by default FTP programs might not list them. However there is usually an option in the program menus which when selected causes them to be shown

From memory the website bandwidth limit is 250MB per day.

David
mkstevo
Grafter

Thanks for your input @spraxyt . I've checked that hidden files are selected in Cyberduck, but can't see the .htaccess file. I've tried Filezilla with it's option to force show hidden files but can't see the .htaccess file there either.

Perhaps it doesn't exist, the website was 'built' with an old copy of iWeb that came with my first Mac around ten years ago. I do still use it as I rather like how the pages look when done, and the simplicity of the application suits my simple mind. Possibly it doesn't generate such a file, or perhaps I deleted it when I last did a major update of my site(s).

Not to worry, if things become problematic I'll try and generate a default .htaccess file and see how I get on.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@mkstevo 

.htaccess files are optional so not having one is fine.. The file is often used to block "external" hot linking of image files and such entries probably already existed in @thejudge 's .htaccess. Hence just the one additional  "wget" entry was needed to block those.

However if starting from scratch all the lines would need to be created. Smiley

With regard to bandwidth use webstats counts only text files, that is image files are ignored. This can lead to webstats seriously underestimating daily bandwidth usage. Image file usage is recorded in raw logs - which have to be specially requested and downloaded - but most users.would struggle to read and interpret these.Sad

David
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

To confirm your webspace bandwidth allowance is 250MB per day. It's not that for everyone who has webspace with us as it can vary depending on what you signed up on long ago. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mkstevo
Grafter

I signed up to Plusnet a looong time ago!

Thanks for confirming that. Does that include embedded video plays?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @mkstevo. It would include embedded videos yes, assuming the video is hosted on your webspace.

Hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team