cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You changed my static IP without telling me !

disfroot
Rising Star

You changed my static IP without telling me !

Had no end of grief late yesterday and today with sites that I maintain that use IP-based intrusion detection and authentication that had my static IP on their whitelist refusing me.
I only just realised that my STATIC IP is now a different number. I'll repeat that again
my STATIC IP is now a different number.
Nothing from Plusnet to warn me that this was a scheduled change.
This is unbelievably poor.
Just a heads-up in case they have been jerking other customers around.
16 REPLIES 16
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: You changed my static IP without telling me !

The static IP on your account has been active and not changed for the last two years?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
disfroot
Rising Star

I have gone back through some old whitelists and my IP today is the same as it was in 2014, but for the last month it has been a different number. The proof I have of this is that I started using a remote FTP server that uses IP whitelisting to control login access a month ago and it was working until yesterday. I have examined the whitelist entry that allowed me access for the last month on this FTP server's control panel and IT IS A DIFFERENT NUMBER to the one I have currently. To regain access to this FTP server today I had to add another IP to its whitelist - which is the IP number I have today.
They changed - no question - the FTP server whitelist proves it.
What happened ?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've checked your connection logs and they have had the same IP on every connection going back as far as I can review (May), your public IP has not changed in that period.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
disfroot
Rising Star

So we have two contesting versions of reality here - If my public facing IP hasn't changed that how do you explain my access problems with this FTP server ?
Chris
Legend

Have you spoken to whoever hosts the FTP server? Maybe they had an issue with the whitelist, or updated it incorrectly. All I can tell you is that the connection IP assigned to your connection has been the same.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
disfroot
Rising Star

that's fudge
When I needed to supply my IP to gain access to this FTP server, I supplied IP number A - that immediately allowed me access - before the FTP server was refusing me. So - a month ago, the IP number  I supplied was my public IP
Starting yesterday, the FTP server refused me, so I had to investigate what had changed. I logged into its Control Panel and the whitelist number A I had supplied a month ago was still there BUT it was offering to add another number B - also within the Plusnet 195.166 block - that it had detected as my public IP that wasn't present in the whitelist. I added it and I could immediately access the FTP server again, so my public IP was now IP number B
I fail to see how that sequence of events can be explained by fog like 'issues with the whitelist' or 'updated it incorrectly'
Chris
Legend

I don't know what else to tell you then.
Your connections to us have definitely been on the same 195.166.*.* IP address going all the way back to at least May. There have been no changes to the IP on your account.
disfroot
Rising Star

Can't both be true
NedLudd
Grafter

If you visit www.whatsmyip.org you will see what your IP address is.
Report it back here so that the techies can look into it!
Geoff,
York.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I can confirm what Adam and Chris have said as I can see only the one IP on disfroot's posting history.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
disfroot
Rising Star

I post here about every 18 months - it has been a long time since my last post. All I have stated above is concerned with a scenario that indicates that my IP has been different for the last 4-6 weeks. As I haven't posted anything here anywhere near that time window, your chip-in about what forum logs you can look at is not relevant.
disfroot
Rising Star

@nedludd
I don't bother to remember what my IP is - whenever I need to know it, I log into my router and see what the status page says - that's the number I always use.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

According to your posting history you previously  posted on 25/8/15, 18/6/15, 11/6/15 then a long gap back to 9/3/14
So from what strat has said your IPaddress was the same on all  those posts
disfroot
Rising Star

I have no reason to not believe that - however - where is the explanation for the FTP whitelist behaviour ?