cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahhoo prventing e.mail msage

opportuneS20

Yahhoo prventing e.mail msage

I have used Yahoo e,mail since the late 90's and am to old to start a new e.mail service address etc. I have recently received a series of messages saying they have "prevented a sign in attempt from an app that does not meet modern security standards to my Yahoo account and suggest switch to a yahoo account on each occasion they lay the blame at  the door on IP [Removed]. A search shows this to be  Plusnet address. as it seem impossible to telephone plus net with such a problem or send an e.mail with more that 150 characters including blanks I wonder if anyone of you boffins has an answer to this problem. OpportuneS20

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): IP address removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

2 REPLIES 2
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Yahhoo prventing e.mail msage

Is this IP (hidden) your public IP address that PlusNet assigns to you? (Check on "whatsmyip")
Also what Apps / programs do you use to access your yahoo email account?
That's RPM to you!!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Yahhoo prventing e.mail msage

@opportuneS20 wrote:

I have used Yahoo e,mail since the late 90's and am to old to start a new e.mail service address etc. I have recently received a series of messages saying they have "prevented a sign in attempt from an app that does not meet modern security standards

I'm not totally sure if you're complaining of unauthorised access attempts or being blocked.. if its the latter then there is a setting for that which Yahoo introduced silently ages ago and activated it for everyone by default. Making it worse they hide it rather well.

Here's the steps to disable it:

Login to http://mail.yahoo.com

Go to the "account into" link at the bottom of the settings menu:

screenshot_558

You will probably be asked to confirm your password at some point.

Next click on "Account security":

screenshot_559

Scroll down right to the bottom and you'll find a section called "Allow apps that use less secure sign-in"

Click the switch to turn it on:

screenshot_560

Now you'll be able to use ordinary Outlook express, thunderbird, Outlook, Windows Live etc without all the new overly complex security stuff. You'll still need to enable SSL / TLS but those older clients support that so you'll be ok.

Hope that helps!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!