cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wordpress Installation Help

jazza

Wordpress Installation Help

Hi,
I've seen lots of postings about the problems in setting up Wordpress. I have done the following steps:
1. Extracted files and uploaded to the root of my cgi webspace
2. Changed file permissions to 755
3. Edited wp-config.php to the name of my MySQL database, server, username and password.
4. When I browse to the wp-admin/install.php page, I get an Error 500 Internal Server Error.
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
James
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Wordpress Installation Help

Does it install a .htaccess file? Try renaming that and see if you can install it.
Colin
Grafter

Take a look at Ben's reply here which explains what you need to do. Basically, there's a problem with something that Wordpress does in a later version which conflicts with our CGI servers (and potentially with other servers actually... I must look in to that when I can stand staring at Wordpress code again!)
kiff

Hello
I have installed the Wordpress files following the tutorial corrected the 755 premissions I am now reciving the message below when I try to run the install php
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /share/storage/02/gr/greenmeadow/blog/wp-config.php on line 7
I have spoken to the Help desk they said to post it here.
Can any one offer some advise to over come this problem
Regards
K
Prod_Man
Grafter

Check the syntax in your 'wp-config.php' file.
Most likely a small human error Wink
Particularly for consistant use of Quote marks for Strings, as that is what the Error is actually telling you.
It could be something completely different which is causing the error but I am reading it on face value.
Easiest way is to grab a Text Editor. with Code High Lighting (Notepad 2, or similar).
It should become apparent if there is any obvious errors.
It maybe something as simple as line 7 looks like this:
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
and it maybe missing a trailing ' where it should be..
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
That or, the line before with the DB Host has incorrect syntax causing the error on Line 7.
Jim,
jtonline
Grafter

Quote from: Colin
Take a look at Ben's reply here which explains what you need to do....

Thank you Colin (and Ben).  I've been struggling over this last night and tonight  Huh
I have a WordPress blog that has been running OK on Humbug since 2005 and have upgraded each time a new version was released without incident.  I wanted to do a fresh install of WordPress in another directory last night, so that I had two different blogs running from the one database.
I got a '500 Internal Server Error' when I ran the install script.  I searched hard on these forums and on WordPress forums and although I could find lots of posts from users with the error, none of the suggested fixes or workarounds were working for me.  Finally, I came across this post which has enabled me to complete the installation.
Now I've just got to install a theme and do the configuration work... but that can wait 'til tommorow now  Smiley