Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wordpress 3.2 and higher

Gabe
Grafter

Wordpress 3.2 and higher

This one's been coming for a while:
Wordpress 3.2 has just been released and requires PHP 5.2.4 and MySQL 5.0.
As of 5 July 2011, the Plusnet MySQL servers are still running v 4.1, so automatic updates to WP 3.2 will fail.
Fortunately, WP 3.1.4 contains all of the security enhancements of WP 3.2, so there's no immediate security imperative to upgrade.
But if you do need or want to upgrade for other reasons, you can backup (!) and upgrade manually, following instructions here, but edit wp-includes/version.php, replacing the line
$required_mysql_version = '5.0';

with
$required_mysql_version = '4.1';

After Step 1 (1-6), reset permissions on the site.
This only works because, so far, in WP 3.2 only the MySQL version checks have changed. The code to use MySQL 4.1 remains.
But, use of WP 3.2 with MySQL 4.1 is not supported and later versions of WP 3.2.x may become genuinely incompatible with MySQL < 5.0 without notice. Ditto third-party add-ons.
Possibly Plusnet may soon think again about upgrading the MySQL platform. Ever the optimist  Smiley
Gabe
33 REPLIES 33
Spider
Grafter

Re: Wordpress 3.2

Thanks for the tips Gabe. I noticed this update this morning, but didn't have a chance to look further. Some how I don't see Plusnet updating PHP and MySQL as I think they would prefer us to move to another provider.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

PHP already meets the WordPress 3.2 requirements, it is MySQL that doesn't. I think upgrading MySQL was last commented upon in January in this topic. A post by Bob P on how migration might be carried out sparked little reaction. I've added my thoughts to that thread.
David
Spider
Grafter

I have just implement this work around for Wordpress 3.2.1 and it worked a treat. Thanks Gabe.
A question for Plusnet staff. Will MySQL under Plusnet hosting be upgraded at any time this decade and if so what are the planned timescales.
Spider
Grafter

Success was short lived as I can not longer connect to the MySQL database either by php files or phpMyAdmin. Currently have an ongoing ticket regarding this but was wondering if any one else had experienced a similar problem with php pages not resolving when using the Plusnet cgi and database recently?
Normally I would start a new thread but Tech Support seem to be implying that the problem is related to updating Wordpress and actually point to this thread in their response as well as the Wordpress manual update page.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

WordPress 3.2.1 works for me using the F9 CGI server and humbug.
I originally installed 3.2 using Gabe's work-around, manually updated to 3.2.1 because different version-check code is involved and patching that failed due to the relevant file being replaced during update. However I would expect a (patched) 3.2.1 installation to be OK.
I suspect your problem is nothing to do with WordPress.
David
Spider
Grafter

Thanks spraxyt that is my view too. The database is on Rumpus so I will have to see how it all pans out.
marku
Grafter

Just bitten the bullet and the upgraded to 3.2.1 using Gabe's procedure, near perfect.
One thing that is slightly different is that the ...mysql_version in version.php should now read
$required_mysql_version = '4.1.11';
mysql.plus.net is also working.
many thanks
Gabe
Grafter

Wordpress 3.3 has just been released. MySQL < 5.0 is officially incompatible. There are slight changes to the db class in this version, but there doesn't seem to be anything that would break with MySQL 4.1. Upgrading a fairly basic installation to 3.3 by the above method and testing its basic functionality hasn't produced any glitches so far. (There may be unrelated jQuery-compatibility issues with some add-ons.)
Gabe
btbonline
Dabbler

Re: Wordpress 3.2 and higher

Just tried a manual upgrade to 3.3 with the MySQL patch to version.php and it doesn't like it.  The site comes up ok but I can't access any admin functions, logging in returns the following error:
Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: index.php
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 500
ccgi.btbonline.plus.com
Thu Dec 29 09:49:00 2011
Apache
If there's no way round this I 'll have to regress it to 3.2, unless I have missed something.
Andy
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Did you unpack the update file on your PC then upload? Wondering if any line endings are still PC (CRLF) style rather than Linux (LF), especially .htaccess files. Have any .htaccess files been updated with disallowed options?
Presumably you reset file permissions to the correct ones?
David
btbonline
Dabbler

Did you unpack the update file on your PC then upload? Wondering if any line endings are still PC (CRLF) style rather than Linux (LF), especially .htaccess files. Have any .htaccess files been updated with disallowed options?
Presumably you reset file permissions to the correct ones?
I did reset the perms (been caught by that one before) and yes I did unpack the zip on my PC and then transferred over using CuteFTP.  The .htaccess looks ok but I'll check for CRLFs - would that affect all php files potentially?
Andy
Gabe
Grafter

I think that can also be caused by plugin conflicts. If you didn't disable plugins before upgrading, it might be worth trying temporarily renaming your wp-content/plugins folder to see if that gets you into admin.
Gabe
btbonline
Dabbler

Nope, tried that - I can get the login screen up ok but thereafter I get the same error.
Gabe
Grafter

How about the theme?
Gabe