cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WordPress

murraywise

WordPress

Is there a simple, but comprehensive, guide to installing WordPress on Plusnet?
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: WordPress

I'm not aware of a current one. An old tutorial is available here on the UserTools site, but ccgi platform security issues and developments over the last couple of years mean many of the steps mentioned there can't be done as described - in particular shell (command line) access to the server is no longer available.
WordPress download and unzipping is now done on the user's computer, and the extracted files uploaded to a ccgi directory using an FTP program. Make sure the FTP program is set to transfer type "auto" so that text files are uploaded as ASCII and binary files as binary.  After that permissions on *all* directories and files need to set correctly. Using the setperms.cgi program posted here is the best way to do that.
Then run the install script as described in the WordPress documentation.
The final stage is to set file permissions on the /wordpress/wp-content/uploads directory (and any subdirectories) to 0750 (rather than 0710) to enable display of uploaded content. Files in these subdirectories should have permissions 0640. Newly uploaded files will inherit those permissions from their containing directory. If the /wordpress/wp-content/uploads directory doesn't exist I suggest creating it using your FTP program so it is ready for uploads.
David
murraywise

Thanks for the prompt reply.
worm
Grafter

As a slight follow-up to this.
I have a static webpage in the normal PlusNet webspace.
I used to have a Wordpress install on the ccgi server until last year sometime when it was suggested that the ccgi platform would disappear and the trial PAYH site was opened.  I moved my blog over to the PAYH site (where it is now) so that I did it sooner rather than later and hopefully ironed out any issues.
It now appears that the ccgi platform has been upgraded and is likely to remain..is this the case?  I don't have a huge need of storage, I more want reliability, and low cost (ie. free Smiley ) Is there any need to move off the PAYH option (I'm just on one of the free trial accounts) or is the Plusnet ccgi platform still likely to disappear?
Cign
Grafter

Another follow-up, must have missed this thread first time around!
There is a more detailed Wordpress setup in this thread:-
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85127.0.html
Cheers
John