cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will an email form in flash work via PHP on my site?

tmcb

Re: Will an email form in flash work via PHP on my site?

Hi,
First ever post on the forums. I've been looking at setting up a basic website (with a form for comments) and have found this thread useful.
Fortunately, as a Broadband PAYG customer, I have the CGI "thingy" available to me and I have found it useful (comments noted about email address being picked up by spambots - I'm assuming that there's a fix that can be used on the PN system - noticed a few suggestions as I read through the links).
However, I got worried when I read Peter Vaughan's post below. Does that mean that I can't have a form on my website if it's www.domainname.plus.com ?
I also have www.domainname.co.uk (currenty on UK2.net, but oculd move it to PN if needed) so that would get around the problem. Just need to know whether I've understood correctly what Peter's saying.
Thanks in advance
tmcb

Quote from: Peter
You cannot point www.username.plus.com to your ccgi webspace. You can only do this with domains registered / hosted on your account.
RobDickson
Grafter

I assume you're talking about the security certificate appearing to be for another website.
I've seen this on several other sites - most recently on Google.
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

@tmcb: welcome to he forums. I hope you can find your answers here.  Folks have been very helpful to me so far  Grin
From what I understand, you can have forms on your www.username.plus.com as that is what the cgi space can be used for, so I think in your instance you should be fine. My problem just seems to be getting flash to communicate with the php script when on different domains. I have not tried it with an html form so I can't comment on how that works. I assume it's fine otherwise there would be loads of post with people who can't get forms to work. Are you building a flash-based site? If you are then you may have the same problems as me.
In your quote, Peter was replying to a question I asked about getting visitors to my www.username.plus.com site to be redirected to my ccgi space and said I couldn't do this in the way I mentioned (via the domains section of my member control panel). I wanted to use the www address but have folks moved to the ccgi area because I've found the flash and php script work fine when in the same space, and since I can't put the php in my www space, I have to maybe put the whole site in my ccgi space instead. The problem seems to be working across the domains when the flash and html are in the www space and the php in the ccgi space.
I've realised that popping this in my index page will do the job in as far as redirecting traffic to the ccgi space:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1;url=http://ccgi.username.plus.com/index.html">
Can someone please advise me if it's OK to have the whole site in my ccgi space? Does it have any risks or issues I should be aware of? Ta.