cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will PlusNet be upgrading to PHP 5 ?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Will PlusNet be upgrading to PHP 5 ?

Today I have found a software package which I have used in the past and which I was intending to have another go with soon whereby they they have stated that for the next release PHP5 will be the minimum requirement: http://www.mantisbt.org/blog/?p=15
This led me to this site:

Can I suggest we all add the following to our signatures:
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The problem IS old software, that is old php software which is broken when run on PHP5, and there is still a lot of that out there. Many hosting companies have not upgraded to php5 because they could not handle the support load that would result.
Yes, eventually they will have to upgrade but in many cases only when they are forced to.
PN do have plans for the hosting platform to be upgraded (not just software but hardware/infrastructure as well) but these are still at an early design stage hence why no timescales are available yet.
Ianwild
Grafter

There isn't a lot I can add to this at the moment. A simple upgrade is certainly out of the question because of the issues it would cause (And trust me, it would be a complete nightmare - we would break 100s of peoples scripts, which may be no bad thing ultimately for various reasons, but right now it's just not an option).
I'm really hopefull that there will be a new hosting platform next year delivered in one way or another. That would definately support PHP5 and people will be able to move their scripts to it if they want to take advantage of the new features. As Peter says though it's still at the drawing board stage and at this point in time I don't know exactly when we will be in a position to deliver that because the business is yet to finalise it's plans for 2008.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hosting has suffered most this year as a result of the work we had to do following the Webmail incident and need for the networks team to focus on other stuff. As I say, I think ultimately if my plan comes off, we could end up with a pretty amazing hosting product, but it's not going to happen in the timescale any of us would like.
As soon as I know more about our plans for this I will share it with you guys.
Ian
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Does Joomla (1.0.12 & 1.5) work on php 5? My limited knowledge of php worries me that my sites might break.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Getting to the stage where some plugins and components in Joomla 1.5 require php5 to work. A couple of photo galleries for instance. Are we any closer now we are approaching Q2 2008?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

PHP5 is still months away - check the PUG forum and PUGIT links in my signature.
Also: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,60563.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Just stumbled across this on the Joomla website.
The minimum versions of the various constituent parts of these server components that are required are as
follows:
Software Min
Version            Recommended             Optimum            Latest Release
PHP 4.3.x         4.4.7                          5.0.x                   5.2.4
You must ensure that you have the MySQL, XML, and Zlib functionality enabled within your PHP installation.
This is controlled within the php.ini file.
Caution: Do not use PHP 4.3.9, PHP 4.4.2 or PHP 5.0.4; these releases have known bugs that will interfere with the installation of Joomla! There was also an issue with the Zend Optimizer Version 2.5.10 for PHP
4.4.x. You should ask your host to upgrade to a later release as soon as possible where applicable.
Note: There are currently ongoing discussions as to whether there are additional issues with the whole 4.3.x. series of releases of PHP and it has been found that the best and most consistent results are achieved with the PHP 5.x series.Joomla! has been successfully tested on many variants within the main three OS for Windows, Linux, Apple Mac OSX. It may well work on other platforms but this is less well documented.
Joomla! is also regularly used and tested through the main Web browsers available such as IE6 +, Firefox
1.5 +, Safari, and Opera but it may also work with others.

I just posted this to illustrate that there are no fears for Joomla users, apart from the ones indicated if PN upgrade to php5. I appreciate other scripts/systems may do but we must move on otherwise some of us would still be fiddling with Sinclair ZX80's Crazy