cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will BT cancel my free web space on Plusnet?

forsterbalcke
Grafter

Will BT cancel my free web space on Plusnet?

I have read that way back in 2012 BT announced it would cancel its customers free web space.
Did this actually happen?
And what is the risk of it happeneing to customers of Plusnet now that it is owned by BT?
Bill
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Will BT cancel my free web space on Plusnet?

I can't speak for BT but in the case of Plusnet there is no free webspace for new customers - and hasn't been for some time - but from Plusnet's record on things like this it is extremely unlikely that they would do it.
There are many free things on the old accounts which are retained when moving to a newer product
forsterbalcke
Grafter

Thanks, (Old) Jim.
I have been on Plusnet for years and am not always happy with the service I receive but I have 100 Mgb of free space, am using 70 Mgb and have a new project in mind which could double the space I need. Am not sure where to go / what to do. Virgins optical fibes under the pavement outside our terraced house are "squirrel proof" but unless I want Virginmedia in front of my domain name they will only give me 50Mgb.
These days it seems web space comes with monthly subs for the ISPs own software tools to create your web site & you loose your web pages if you cancel the contract!
Are there ISPs where you can get space without strings attached?
OIr is DROPBOX the solution?
Bill
picbits
Rising Star

Why not just rent some space from a hosting company for a fiver a month and make it totally ISP independent ?
*Edit - here you go. These guys are pretty good and I have a couple of customers who use them for business hosting. Maybe not the cheapest (you can always have a look around) but they are pretty efficient.
http://www.host-it.co.uk/hosting/panel_plans/plans/homeuser_hosting.asp
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It rather depends what you are going to use the space for
If it is just for storage there are several options but if it is for website hosting then you will need to consider the actual requirements
forsterbalcke
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Why not just rent some space from a hosting company for a fiver a month and make it totally ISP independent ?
*Edit - here you go. These guys are pretty good and I have a couple of customers who use them for business hosting. Maybe not the cheapest (you can always have a look around) but they are pretty efficient.
http://www.host-it.co.uk/hosting/panel_plans/plans/homeuser_hosting.asp

I guess I just hate paying for something you can get for free!

But perhaps you are right and that way I can change my ISP without any worries about loss of web space.
But can I use my own web editing software on my own PC and send to their server by file transfer?
Or do they tie you into them by making you use software on their site which means you loose your web site if you move?
Bill @ Holywell House
picbits
Rising Star

Most hosting companies don't even have their own design software - they just let you upload your files and leave you to it.
There are even cheaper companies out there but do a bit of research on how they handle your DNS transfers etc as the last thing you want is an unresponsive hosting company who you have to chase to try and get anything done.
We moved a client to Host-It after their existing company suddenly vanished for a couple of weeks and didn't answer their emails or telephone. We had to do a snatch back on a couple of domain names and Host-It were really on the ball.
Personally I host my own sites from a couple of servers at home and use Host-It to manage my domain names and nameservers.