cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Files amended on CCGI: WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition?

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Why Files amended on CCGI: WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition?

I just noticed a pretty-vanilla HTML file has a block of Javascript added to it...

<!-- WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition V5.4 START -->
<script type='text/javascript' src='https://count.carrierzone.com/app/count_server/count.js'></script>
<script type='text/javascript'><!--
wm_custnum='de...ad';
wm_page_name='index.html';
wm_group_name='/services/webpages/c/c/ccgi.jxxxxb.com/public';
wm_campaign_key='campaign_id';
wm_track_alt='';
wiredminds.count();
// -->
</script>
<!-- WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition V5.4 END -->

A quick Google and it would appear that Hostopia are messing about with peple's files, not just at PlusNet. Anyone know what this is, why its there, how I benefit and, if I want to, how to stop it ?
I presume it's to do with the web analytics mentined on the FAQ. But the FAQ does not mention that files are modified to add Javascript.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Why Files amended on CCGI: WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition?

As you speculated this JaveScript code is added (on the fly) at the end of HTML body sections for pages served to browsers. It provides page visit statistics which feed into the Web Analytics application available in Control Panel.
David
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Why Files amended on CCGI: WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition?

I just noticed its on the fly: it's there if I "view source" in the browser but not there if I download with ftp.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: starfry
I just noticed a pretty-vanilla HTML file has a block of Javascript added to it...
>  <!-- WiredMinds eMetrics tracking with Enterprise Edition V5.4 START -->
>  ... wm_group_name='/services/webpages/c/c/ccgi.jxxxxb.com/public';

Quote from: spraxyt
As you speculated this JaveScript code is added (on the fly) at the end of HTML body sections for pages served to browsers.

I will preface this question with "I am not a techie" : /   but does that mean that the absolute path and the username are both disclosed (ie visible by anyone viewing page source).  I had thought (in relation to php/MySQL especially) that things like absolute paths were ideally not disclosed (?)
If there's no risk in that, perhaps someone could explain, thanks.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Indeed the full file system path to the file is in the page source. The domain shown is that which appears in the address box so no additional information is given there.
However when PHP error messages are suppressed to avoid exposing file paths it seems odd to give them in page source.
David
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

As people have explained, this is a product of the Analytics application. It can be prevented by disabling the pixel-code tracking/switching Analytics off. If people consider the file path to be a major issue then I can query it with Hostopia, however I suspect it's likely to involve a bit of work to obfuscate the information.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Bob
If people consider the file path to be a major issue then I can query it with Hostopia, however I suspect it's likely to involve a bit of work to obfuscate the information.

I wouldn't want to cause work for anyone, and I suppose hostopia must think it's not a security risk or they wouldn't present the information in that way.  I'm quite glad I asked, though - technical factors are always something of a challenge - and appreciate the replies.  As luck would have it, Web Analytics wasn't originally installed for our ccgi, so it's probably best I leave things as they are.

Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
oliverb
Grafter

Out of curiosity: Is the block appended before or after the closing "body" tag?
I think code added after the closing tag can trigger a malware warning in some security packages, or at least it could a few years ago. It may be that the system has been whitelisted since.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

It is inserted immediately before the closing body tag.
David
60lgr

Not Noticed it before today, but I suspect that 's because it suddenly started being very VERY slow. disabled it (bit of a maze) and pages are MUCH faster.
- Control Panel \ Manage Websites \ Web Analytics \  Advanced Tab (top right) \ disable.
Now I have no tracking, but at least my web site is faster.
Quote from: Bob
As people have explained, this is a product of the Analytics application. It can be prevented by disabling the pixel-code tracking/switching Analytics off. If people consider the file path to be a major issue then I can query it with Hostopia, however I suspect it's likely to involve a bit of work to obfuscate the information.
oakbydesign
Grafter

60lgr - Thank You!  Smiley
I had a slow site but now after removing the analytics, its great.
www.oakbydesign.co.uk
Thanks
Richard