Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which webspace should I use?

BestPump
Grafter

Which webspace should I use?

Hi All,
Over the years, I seem to have accumulated 3 separate hosting places on my Plusnet account.
1. Standard webspace for standard HTML website (does very well in search engines)
2. CCGI space for scripts
3. plushost.co.uk - I think this was a new development for the future
I am in the process of building a new site from scratch and am considering either Wordpress / PHP includes / standard HTML.
The standard HTML website is quite popular and I am worried about moving files around but the lack of PHP includes makes updating very laborious although I suppose I could use Dreamweaver templates. Alternatively, I could setup 301 redirects to ensure that new pages show up where old pages once were. I want to restructure the website directory names but don't want to lose my Search engine popularity.
What would you do if you were in my position? If I point my domain name away from the standard webspace to the CCGI or plushost.co.uk area, will that affect my current search engine ratings?
All feedback welcomed!
Regards,
Jeff
2 REPLIES 2
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: Which webspace should I use?

Plus Net use separate servers for their script hosting for security reasons. I did use it years ago but I found this to be a real pain.
If you want to simplify things use a dedicated hosting provider, Eukhost strongly recommended, not least for their domain pricing. If you want to run several websites/domains you can use a reseller account which is really simple to use (Cpanel).
It sounds like you have enough experience to use a reseller account. I guarantee you will not ever look back.
If you do have some Linux experience, a VPS is even better giving you full control over absolutely everything (operates exactly like a fully dedicated server). I use one with Eukhost for £19.99/month but I also have a second with a company called Switchlink for backup for £7/month!
If ever you did go for a VPS, I would recommend Virtualmin for looking after it. It is free (Cpanel is not) and installs itself on your server really easily.
oliverb
Grafter

Re: Which webspace should I use?

Or you could just put everything on ccgi and have a domain pointed to it, now that Plusnet have "suexec" the main security objection has gone.
The configuration is not too strange and a lot of CMS packages should drop in OK. If you outgrow ccgi it shouldn't be hard to migrate to a "proper" host later.