cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is best Sky vs Plusnet Fibre

Mo123
Hooked

Which is best Sky vs Plusnet Fibre

Hi looking forward to hearing from anyone that can offer feedback on which is best in general for speeds and equipment in the battle between Sky and PlusNet top speed package of 66meg fibre please.

Would love to hear from anyone that has had experience of both recently 

6 REPLIES 6
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Which is best Sky vs Plusnet Fibre

Speeds should be pretty much the same between the two.

Equipment wise, both bundle average kit and send that out to customers, however the downside with Sky on the equipment side of things is that they use an oddball authentication method, which makes using your own kit difficult to impossible google Sky own router to see, with Sky you will need a router that supports something called DHCP option 61 (MER), and not all/very few consumer routers do this, meaning less choice and possibly greater expense.

So I would guage it as:

Speeds - equal

Equipment - Equal

Flexibility/futureproofing - plusnet

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Mo123 

Splitting basically the same issue, which I assume is really whether to upgrade your Plusnet service to fibre or return to Sky, over two topics doesn't really help continuity. I suspect it's a question of whether or not you will be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Only you can decide whether to make the jump to find out. Both companies use the same BT infrastructure to deliver a fibre service  so it really come down to customer service. Asking which is best on a public forum will only reflect personal experience, generally from persons having problems, which might or might not be the fault of the ISP..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mo123
Hooked

I still feel it’s worth the question to gain experience from others makes the jump less of a risk the more info you have.

Never had a lot of joy from last thread really tbf

I definitely think a HH6 would offer me better speeds and coverage though so I have learned that
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

I've been on FTTC with Plusnet, John Lewis (Plusnet white label service), Sky and Now TV (Sky in all but name) and there is no difference in terms of speed and reliability, because as mentioned it all uses the same Openreach infrastructure unlike ADSL where they use different kit in the exchange.

Sky CS is better than Plusnet IME,  and having been diddled out of cashback by both Plusnet (a fairly common issue if you look at the forums) and cashback and gift by John Lewis, Plus their failure to provide 'Ultrafast" means they've lost me as a broadband customer for good.

I wouldnt choose an ISP based on the router they provide either because they're all pretty poor, so use my own.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mo123
Hooked

Ok brilliant thanks everyone

Would using your own router say HH6 as apposed to hub one offer better speed?