cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where shall I move my website to?

Pancho
Grafter

Where shall I move my website to?

I have been with Plus quite some time - back to the days when you got some free webspace. During that time I have changed packages but kept my webspace. Also, during that time I acquired a Domain name for some pages to do with a small servicing business. This work has gone now so I am letting that domain name die when it comes up renewal. I have asked Plus if I could have another but the general message is 'No'. (I am on the Value Package) I also have some pages (500 or so) to do with an interest I have (not selling anything) and think it might help if I had a domain name for these pages. I can leave them on Plus as a mirror site but have been looking at the minefield of where to go. I must have led a sheltered life on Plus. Plus 'Help' mentions their sister site just-the-name.co.uk, which, on looking around, seems expensive. I find other places seemingly cheaper. I am just looking for a home for my pages so I can have a domain name, which says something about the pages rather than the <username>.plus.com. The pages were created a long time ago but are added to - updated quite often. I might need scripts for forms and that is about all. I note one site talks about 'Postage' but does not say if that is a one time fee or what it might be for - I don't need anything as I have been doing web pages for years.
Has anybody been down this path and can advise as to what to look for and any recomendations as to where to look.? Apologies if this has been discussed before but, even then, nothing stays the same for very long.
12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Where shall I move my website to?

why do you want to relinquish your free PN space?
did you get another free name at the time of the security leak?
I am on Value, as a Free-online person, this gives me three variations  Name.free-online.co.uk  name.idps.co.uk and the best name.me.uk, If I ever leave PN I would think I should transfer my name to say 1&1 and pay the fee there
Pancho
Grafter

Nowhere did I say I wanted to give up my web space on Plus Net. I am letting a Domain name die (the only one I have) when it runs out as the business does not do anything anymore; those days are gone. I asked Plus if I could have another domain name when this one dies - the person who answered my ticket said I could not have a Domain name on a Value packed (even though I have got one at present) and I am accepting that I cannot have another. Is that right Plus? I have found various hosting sites that appear to be cheaper than the Plus recommended one. (Curry's will only recommend what they have on the shelf - not something that they do not stock).
Once more I am at the bottom of a learning curve about hosting sites and was hoping that somebody could move me up the curve a bit with some interesting, absorbing, I have been there and done it, so I know, information. As any good painter will tell you, preparation is 9/10ths of the job.
There is so much that I don't know anything about and I read what other people write on some topic and the discussions that go on, which I try to understand and may even look things up on the net in the hope of understanding it better. We are all doing what we are doing and I can only say there are some clever people about who know a lot of things I don't. However, I play classical organ and, while not being very good, I have three organ posts and spend a lot of time studying music and hoping, one day, to be able to play well. My life is not all computing but I help where I can. Hoping sombody might help me.
Regards.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I take it you are looking at those 500 pages under your old domain name, if you are keeping those page, and dont have an index.htm would that work for you?
or your index.html file could have a comment like site closed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There have been a number of discussions of hosting providers in this forum, one such being Alternate host recommendation. Some suggestions there that might help.
David
seanbranagh
Grafter

Eukhost have been fantastic for me ever since I outgrew my Plus Net space. First I had a reseller package then moved to a VPS.
Their domains are £6/year .com .net .co.uk etc.
Pancho
Grafter

Thank you for the useful input. The domain name I am letting die is only a part of the pages I have on Plus. The main index page lists various sections under topics. It is one of these topics that I would like a domain name for as it might increase the chances of interested persons finding the pages. As I have very few links to these pages on other web sites they are not highly listed by Google, or any other search engine, if they are listed at all. I have done what I can with robots.txt and sitemap.xml -  I may have gone over the free 500 pages of some sitemap generators. I still have spare space on Plus and text files are quite small and I think I have got to grips with CSS, which helps keep files small.
I have some time to sort this so there is time to researth before actually doing anything.
Thanks for helping; much appreciated.
kdiment
Rising Star

Someone will soon tell me if I'm wrong, but I think you could register any domain name you like (provided, of course, it's not already in use) with, say, 123-reg for a modest annual fee and have it point to your webspace hosted on PN.
  - Keith
Pancho
Grafter

Keith. Thank you for that. I am creating a document from suggestions here and the other thread. I am also considering whether having a domain name would actually make any difference. At the present time any information is good information and the more data I get the longer it is going to take me to work out what to do. Plus are charging me a £1 a month for the domain name I am letting die so, in comparison, £6 a year is half that. However, other things are crowding in so this idea will most likely be put on the back burner for a while. I picked up an old JavaScript for Dummies (2005) for 20p at a Charity Shop (with the CD) and thought I would work my way through the examples; the first one I had to mess about with, comparing it with one that does work, to get it to do something. Sometimes ‘Learn something every day’ can be a bit too much.
Regards.
Bluesplayer
Grafter

You can get free domain names with companies such as no-ip.com.  My shopping site - see sig - is such a domain name.  Great thing about my new shopping site is that I host it too on a home server - ubuntu server.  Free domain and free hosting!  Also because it is local it is extremely easy to work on as files move between my main computer and my other host base computer very fast.  You do need a fair bit of computer knowledge to setup a server but it ain't that hard now.  Cheapo base unit plugged into one of your modem spare sockets with ubuntu installed on it and you have access to unlimited website hosting and domains  :).  I am also running a minibb forum on it no problem.
Pancho
Grafter

Bluesplayer - thank you for that. I have a Qnap NAS and use it as my testing server. I know you can access the pages from the net. I have just thought of buying another as it would be faster although the facilities are about the same. http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=182 is the device. Is this similar to the one you mention? You get a (free) domain name to point it to the pages on you device? I leave mine on all the time. This is certainly something to think about. My web pages do not have a high hit rate; a few hundred a day if that. There are some PDF fies that are downloaded quite a lot. Data used accessing my own equipment would come out of my 10Gb a month allocation with Plus. I do not use a lot of that in my normal internet usage so that might be OK.
Bluesplayer
Grafter

I have just thought of buying another as it would be faster although the facilities are about the same. http://www.qnap.com/pro_d...tail_feature.asp?p_id=182 is the device.

I wouldn't bother.  You can run a home server on a real slow computer if you are only displaying pages.  The power is needed if you start to use databases mainly and even then you don't really need much power unless you are attempting to run very large database shops where the computer has to work it's way through thousands of columns looking for matches and so on.
Bear in mind the way your home server works is very much linked to your internet, with one aspect of your connection being very important (often overlooked too) and that is your upload speed.  Your upload speed will govern such things as file downloads.  If your pdf files are quite large then I would recommend these to be kept elsewhere with just a link shown on your site.  Upload speed on my plusnet broadband is around 44kbs at best but that would half if 2 people attempted to download a file at the same time - quarter if 4 people etc.  Not fast to begin with so you might need to consider this.  If the files are small then no problem.  You can't show video files for instance if the file is located on your home server as the upload speed is far too slow for this but you can if you keep the source file elsewhere and connect to it from your site.  Maybe you can keep your files on the Plusnet free hosting they give you, or you could find free hosting for your files as there are plenty about.
Pancho
Grafter

Yes, I can understand that. I have the usual upload speed for a Broadband connection and, as you rightly mention, that would be the limit for a web server based on something at home. I have never thought of my testing server on the NAS as anything other than that.