cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my web site? All I get is " INDEX OF / "

scoutingnut

Where is my web site? All I get is " INDEX OF / "

I have just mannaged to load up my FrontPage designed web page to the PlusNet server after about 3 months worth of e-mails back and forth to PluNet support.
I have spoken to the support helpline, and it's been confirmed that it's there. They recommended this forum. So here goes.
I have a domain "centralscouts.co.uk" but all there is there is INDEX OF / followed by a title "Parent Directory" there is a date there but I dont know where that has come from.
I uploaded it to "fp.username.plus.com" (because it is in FrontPage)
Any suggestions as to how to get my web site up and running would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Where is my web site? All I get is " INDEX OF / "

Is the domain www.centralscouts.co.uk hosted with PlusNet?
If so, then I don't believe it is possible to host a FrontPage site with a hosted domain with PlusNets configuration of their web servers (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).
Link to the article you require
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No its not possible because the FP website can only be accessed using fp.username.plus.com.
You have to use a frame redirect method to view a FP site with your domain. See www.moonphase.plus.com for info on how to do it but it does make the site search engine unfriendly and you loose control over the URL shown by the browser when changing pages.
To be honest, frontpage is not the most portable method for writing websites and PlusNet do not support it other than for your own account URL given above. For future proofing I suggest you look at either using standard html (if you don't use any FP extensions) or look at learning PHP to create dynamic websites.
Or use one of the many hosting companies that properly support Microsoft based websites.
scoutingnut

Thanks Guys
OK. What you are telling me is to drop FrontPage.
I now have Nvu web design package.
All I have to do now is to learn how to use it, and to publish it.
My domain is currently with PlusNet, though I may move it elsewhere.
Again Thanks
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I wouldn't say there's much reason to move it to be hosted somewhere (I'd register and pay for it elsewhere though, since PlusNet registration costs are high).
It's probably better that you have swapped design package FWIW, as FrontPage is very sloppy, and promotes bad coding. Better to learn from the ground up and keep things tidy, else you'll have headaches in the future if things break Tongue
scoutingnut

Thanks Mike
The host I was thinking about is e-scouts. As it is a Scouting website, they host scouts for free.
But I would like to give PlusNet a try with a different web designer. Nvu is mentioned inthe PlusNet information.
Can anyone comment on Nvu, particularly for ease of use.
neepdocker
Grafter

Just made the mistake of deleting my Frontpage redirection to the fp server so this moonphase page has saved the day for me.
hulls
Grafter

Hi
I just clicked on the link above and got a web site. Is that not yours?
I also use Frontpage for my site www.chelmsfordsongsters.org.uk a domain supplied by Free-online.  I don't upload to the fp server;  just use ftp to ftp://homepages.free-online.net/htdocs
Does that help?  Huh
John
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW just because you're using Frontpage you only need the frontpage server if you're using the extensions.
I'm using Frontpage and uploading to normal webspace, if I wanted a guestbook or forum I'd just link to one on ccgi.
I'd like to look at alternatives, but I'd want an editor that could look after site navigation the way FP can, not just do single pages.
Also one that does actually edit HTML, rather than mangling the site into an internal file format (like Webplus tried to).