Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp not working on Plusnet broadband

FIXED
procount
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Whatsapp not working on Plusnet broadband

My family use Whataspp a lot on their phones/tablets. At home they connect over Wifi to our Plusnet broadband Router. However, more often than not, Whatapp cannot communicate, so they miss incoming calls/messages and cannot call/send messages.

When this occurs on a phone, we have to disable the wifi and turn on the data connection. On a tablet, they end up tethering to one of mobile phones and sending it over its 4G connection.The problem does not occur when we are out and about using public wifi hotspots. So it's not a problem with Whatsapp on their device nor the Whatsapp server, but it seems to only happen when using Plusnet wifi/broadband/router.

We also have a similar problem using the Discord app (gamers forum). On plusnet wifi/broadband, it will not connect, but connection is instant on 4G or on any external wifi hotspot.

Any idea what the problem could be?

4 REPLIES 4
Kimberlin
Rising Star

Re: Whatsapp not working on Plusnet broadband

I use Whatsapp frequently over Plusnet and I've never personally had any issues.

I'm no expert, the only thing I ever ensure, is that my iphone is running the latest ios (currently 11.4.1) and the Whatsapp App is the latest version (2.18.80). If neither your ios or App are current, it might be worth updating. It may also be worth deleting the App completely (backup any Whatsapp data if/as required) and adding the App again.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

This sounds much more like a wifi connection stability issue.

What phones / tablets?  Apple devices?

Wifi - dual band having the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5GHz bands?

There is a known issue with Apple devices in some circumstances flip-flopping between 2.4 and 5GHz bands with the inherent delays in switching manifesting as no internet connection.

If this profile matches your situation, I would recommend making the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi SSIDs different - put a "5" on the end of the name of the 5GHz one.  If you do not know how to do this, please ask, there are people around here who can offer step by step guidance.  (Please be sure to identify your router).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

procount
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

Ah, It seems I had the "Chat and Instant Messaging" category blocked in Plusnet SafeGuard by mistake.

(Sometimes it's just a matter of remembering where to look!).

Thanks for your posts.@KImberlin & @Townman

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

… and noting in questions which service options are enabled.  I have to confess that asking about SafeGuard was not on my radar … it will be in future! Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.