cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will happen in the future ( and when) for rural areas?

stanchel

What will happen in the future ( and when) for rural areas?

I am in a rural area 30 miles from Cambridge where, with fibre, I get just over 10mb download and around 0.6mb upload.

I understand that is below the future minimum government standard. I have received notification from Plusnet that the 1mb upload limit will be raised to 10mbs shortly. Does that mean I will get effective 10mb synchronous? My suspicion is nothing will improve.

Also, unfortunately, 4G is not present, even though the signal maps say it is present but outside only. I do not know if an external antenna on the roof will get a signal. FTTP is not available.

If so what can Openreach possibly do to improve my broadband speed to be at least the future minimum government standard?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: What will happen in the future ( and when) for rural areas?

Don't hold your breath. I suspect that the wording reads up to 10 Mbps. Regardless of the limits, your speed will go no faster than what the infrastructure will support.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stanchel

I checked, you are right about the wording. But in the context they imply an improvement from the current. I quote  "we’ve increased upload speeds from up to 1.9Mbps to up to 9.5Mbps (that’s 5 x faster)" - is this a case of " false news" by PlusNet?

Now the more thorny question, what can be done to increase speed to reach the new government standard minimum speed? - I suggested to an Openreach engineer that if they placed a cabinet at this end of the village, he thought that wouldn't happen and said they were rolling out more FTTP. That sounds as though it will be very expensive option for the consumer.

If only Virgin would come to the village, or even 4G, or maybe pigs fly...

Baldrick1

I'm afraid that this speed increase is nothing but a bit of salesmanship. This speed increase was implemented last year.

Moderator and Customer

stanchel

Does anyone know what Openreach intend to do for those whose connection speed falls below the future Universal Service Obligation of 10mbs download/ 1mb upload? I only get about half that. No, I do not live in a remote island in the Outer Hebrides, merely 35 miles from Cambridge, the Technology Hub of the UK, in a village of 1000 souls.

I have heard so much about the USO, but not one thing about what will be done to fix those that are below it. A local Openreach engineer told me that they were actively rolling out FTTP for those who complained loud enough. Every time I ask about it I am told my local exchange does not provide it. The USO is due to become law in 2020, I do not know on what date.

in my area it seems Openreach are not doing anything, possible as the fibre rollout was funded by extra government funding through ConnectingCambridgeshire. Their obligation seemed to be have been to ensure connections were a minimum of 2mbs and now, I guess, their job is done.

I had better internet speed than this in rural areas of Sri Lanka, presumably what Openreach would call a Third World country...

Baldrick1

Have you tried complaining to your local MP and Council? All Plusnet can do is provide are services that are available to them

Moderator and Customer

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You might want to have a look at this link which may assist.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48