cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is exatly 250MB webspace?

Sean

What is exatly 250MB webspace?

Hi,all I just wanna know about webspace of capacity how they work.The capacity of 250MB webspace.when guest downloding file from my website Is it going to run out from 250MB?help me.....[flash=200,200][/flash]
32 REPLIES 32
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: What is exatly 250MB webspace?

If I understand your question correctly, then 250MB is your webspace allowance. This means you can upload 250MB of data. The users downloading from your website will not effect this allowance.
I think you are getting a little mixed up between webspace allowance and bandwidth allowance. Often, hosting providers give you (the hostee) a bandwidth allowance (for arguements sake, say 20GB). If you had a 250MB file on your website, and it was downloaded 80 times (250MB x 80 = 20GB), then your bandwidth allowance will have been exceeded, and your website would not be able to be accessed unless you paid for more bandwidth.
I'm unsure if PlusNet have a bandwidth allowance on their customer hosting space, but I haven't seen any mention of it by others before.
Hope this clears things up for you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

PlusNet do have a bandwidth limit and the information is given here http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/tips_and_info/webspace_faq.shtml?supportb=webspace_t5wheretofin...
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Thanks Jim, never knew myself but knew someone would be around soon enough to fill in the missing bits Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No problem Mike.
The one argument I have with the PlusNet bandwidth allowance is that it is daily so having large and/or very popular  files or images could easily bounce you over the edge before you realise and get the site taken down.
A weekly or even monthly bandwidth allowance would be much better as it would give the owner time to remove or block access to the offending items before tripping the automatic block. That is what I have with 1and1 with the ability to purchase more bandwidth if necessary.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I agree that the monthly allowances are much better, but I feel this would be pushing PlusNet towards more work on web hosting solutions, which really isn't what the intentions are for ISP-supplied hosting.
If you regularly host large files, you could also set up some mirrors to balance the load a little I suppose.
Do PlusNet currently allow you to purchase more bandwidth, or not due to it being a daily allowance?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unfortunately not
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Something to send to the wishlist I think.
Ianwild
Grafter

This one is already on my wishlist.
The future of web hosting is a topic we are debating internally at the moment. I'm pretty sure it will be the next big focus area once we have Email and Voip stabilised - They are the priorities for the minute.
Ian
klyne
Grafter

Quote from: Ianwild
This one is already on my wishlist.
The future of web hosting is a topic we are debating internally at the moment. I'm pretty sure it will be the next big focus area once we have Email and Voip stabilised - They are the priorities for the minute.
Ian

Ian
As someone who is fast running out of webspace I hope you can find a solution even if it means moving to web hosting. I suspect that with hits averaging 15-20 a day I don't come anywhere near my bandwidth limit. What happens if you upload more than the allocated 250mb of web space? As I have said before one of the attractions of Plus Net is the generous web space allowance. Is it really impractical to provide say 500mb as I assume most members don't use their webspace allowance?
David
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If you exceed your webspace space, your website will be archived and taken down. The same as if you exceeded your daily website bandwidth allowance.
God
Grafter

I have to say that in my opinion a daily bandwidth limit of 250mb is pretty grim, this needs addressing!
glyndev
Grafter

Quote from: MikeWhitehead
If you regularly host large files, you could also set up some mirrors to balance the load a little I suppose.
Do PlusNet currently allow you to purchase more bandwidth, or not due to it being a daily allowance?

You cannot purchase extra bandwidth at the moment.
But a couple of solutions that I use are for Videos I place them on you tube, create a playlist and then embed the player on a webpage at +net. It is you tubes bandwidth then instead of yours.
The other is to create a free account at +net which gives you 25 meg of web space and 100 meg of daily data transfer. for the username  all I do is just add 1, 2, etc which people do not really notice in the address bar.
So in effect 10 free accounts equal 250 meg webspace and 1 gig of daily transfer.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yep, I have a phpBB mod to embed YouTube videos, so I do the same Wink
While I appreciate that PlusNet's allowance is rather more generous than others, and they offer CGI and MySQL which some don't, it does seem that offering extra space/bandwidth would be a good way for PlusNet to make some more money as well as satisfying people who need more without having to take their hosting elsewhere. I'm sure as needs grow over time (as they do) it will be something requested more frequently.
I know I've said this before, so it's good this might eventually be offered!
God
Grafter

I still think that the monthly limit is the key. Where as I might exceed 250mb in a day uploading and downloading plus traffic etc. I wouldnt expect to exceed 7.5 gig in a month. Also tracking usage and dealing with it is possible over a month, not a day.
With a daily limit you could go off line without notice.