Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "Placed on hold" mean?

FIXED
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

What does "Placed on hold" mean?

I ran a line test yesterday after noticing a phone fault and it raised an automatic ticket. This was followed by a message stating "Your Help Assistant Question is now being placed on hold. The next action on your Question will be 09-08-2018."

What exactly does that mean? I'd like to think it means PN will wait that long for it to be fixed before they chase it up. However, I have a horrible feeling it means no work will be attempted until 3 days have elapsed. Which is it?

3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: What does "Placed on hold" mean?

My understanding is that Phone troubleshooter tests should result in an automated fault report being submitted to Openreach which they should action and resolve. Whilst this takes place the question/ticket on your account gets placed on hold until the stated date and time.

When released from hold the question drops into the active faults pool. It should be picked up by Plusnet faults staff to check if the fault has been fixed or if follow up action is needed (eg book an engineer visit).

If the problem was fixed you might already know that. If not and you don't get a timely response to the ticket you might feel inclined to contact CS.

David
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Fix

I'd like to think it means PN will wait that long for it to be fixed before they chase it up.  

This is essentially correct @kjpetrie. If, for example, we have raised a Phone Fault to be investigated and the Estimated Response Date is 10/08/2018 we would normally place the ticket on hold until 11/08/2018 (or the next working day - which in this example would be 13/08/2018). 

I hope this makes sense? 

Incidentally - we have (about an hour ago) had the notification from our supplier that your Phone Fault should now be cleared, can you confirm if this is so? I have updated this ticket on your account regarding this. 

Thanks 

**edit - typo 

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks for clarifying. Wording that makes complete sense internally in a business can be confusing or even distressing to those not in the know.

"Placed on hold" describes exactly what you are doing in terms of your own procedures, but could easily give the customer the impression they're being ignored.

Something more along the lines of "Being handled elsewhere and we hope to have news before" probably communicates better to a customer.