Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Plusnet can do and can't do

frenches2
Hooked

What Plusnet can do and can't do

Hi there,
Plusnet have said that they can't supply us with fibre, although we have the fibre cable right outside our house. Something to do with the green cabinet and the wiring (didn't get the exact details)... They told us only BT can do it, and BT are only offering 1000 Meg, which is a costly one. We don't want to leave Plusnet, and we know that BT's customer service is rubbish. A friend told us that actually, we CAN get a fibre service from Plusnet, and there is some kind of agreement that they have with BT that they aren't supposed to offer it - but our friend couldn't tell us how to get around the red tape. Anyone here able to advise? Thanks in advance for your help.
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: What Plusnet can do and can't do

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can get Fibre To The Premises which PN don't currently provide, not Fibre To The Cabinet which PN do.
If you switch FTTP with BT / EE then I believe PN will waive any early exit fees.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@frenches2 

If you use the following link to check what's available and post a screen shot of the results (hiding your phone number) we can advise accordingly.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As stated it's probable you have FTTP available which PlusNet don't currently offer.

Brian

OldBen
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Although PlusNet FTTP is due to launch at some point this year so I would definitely keep an eye out. Providing OpenReach FTTP infrastructure is there and usable, PlusNet will be able to use it once the time comes.
frenches2
Hooked

Thanks @bmc Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

bmc
Hero

@frenches2 

PlusNet are correct when they tell you they can't supply fibre - either FTTC or FTTP. The former is not available from your cabinet and the latter is not supplied by PN.

As mentioned they are due to launch a FTTP product later this year but until they do there's no definite date (I suspect they are having trouble re-writing their back office system to handle FTTP).

Your choice is to stick with a very poor ADSL speed and wait for PN FTTP or change provider to get FTTP. If you go to BT or EE (via PlusNet Options) PN will waive any early termination charges.

I just had a look at BT and got offered 6 different speeds - from 36 down to 900 down. Have a look at their website to see what you get offered as a new customer.

Brian

frenches2
Hooked

Thanks for the info, and putting us in the picture. We know what to do now, thanks.
bmc
Hero

@frenches2 

If you decided to move to BT or EE FTTP (you can choose other providers) you need to phone the PN Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 first. They put a marker on your account to waive charges and then put you through to BT of EE (I believe).

If you get FTTP installed they replace your overhead line as part of the process. If you look at the narrative of the results you posted you'll see there's a minor problem detailed - line of sight issue (trees). This might delay things slightly if an Engineering team has to be tasked first to clear the line of sight.

If you go with BT you might be "forced" onto their Digital Voice product (the BT version of VOIP). Note that with VOIP you loose service in a power cut. However, you can also go BroadBand only with no phone service if you so wish.

Brian