cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Fibre Modem would you recommend?

lorisarvendu
Grafter

What Fibre Modem would you recommend?

I currently have a TP-link router that I don't want to get rid of, and an aging BT fibre modem that I do.  In case of emergencies I also have a Plusnet Router with integrated modem, but once I move onto that I can't use the TP Link router, and I'd like to keep it as it has a lot of extra features that the PN router doesn't (like the ability to route WOL packets from the internet).

What fibre modems can anyone recommend that they are currently using themselves? 

I'm on FTTC.

Thanks in anticipation.

A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: What Fibre Modem would you recommend?

One has to ask why? I would recommend a Huawei HG612 model 3B off EBay. However you may already be using one as they tend to be badged Openreach. If you have the alternative ECI version then it is worth swapping, especially if you are connected to a BT Huawei fibre cabinet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lorisarvendu
Grafter

You ask why.  Well, I am aware that the openreach modems are no longer provided, supported, or replaced, and that if it fails I will have to use the PN router which is inferior to my own router. I want to keep my own router, so the only way to do that is to keep a separate modem.

A tortoise? What's that?
Baldrick1

Fine, you previously said you want to get rid of your Openreach modem. My advice is the same, you can pick up a Huawei modem very cheaply on Ebay and they work as well as any modem.

Moderator and Customer

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to getting an "Unlocked" one?   Would it invalidate any support for line problems from BT engineers?

A tortoise? What's that?
Baldrick1

It would not invalidate any support. My advice there would be that if you have a problem put your Plusnet supplied set up back in place or ask for advice on this forum. If it's unlocked then you can get access to detailed information related to your broadband line so can be veru useful for fault finding. Its not difficult to unlock them so don't pay much extra for one that's already unlocked. More information on unlocking here: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Moderator and Customer

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@lorisarvendu

It may also be worth considering the tplink_TD-W9970 and running it in bridge (modem only ) mode.

These are decent budget vdsl routers in any case  , and the modems are very stable. See the kitz review

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm

These are also in current production and can be picked up new for not much more than a  pre-owned hg612.

You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)