Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird uploading problems

hollytree
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Weird uploading problems

Hi
Just uploaded my website to the htdocs directory using CuteFTP (a dozen or so html pages, some css for the nav buttons, and a couple of pdf files).
Everything seemed to transfer fine BUT:

• the size of each html file now sitting in htdocs is about 1kb less than those I uploaded

• when I check my site online, all of the images within each html files are missing

• I cant get the pdf files to open online

I'm a newbie and I cant locate any guidance on these probs so I'm probably failing to do something blindingly obvious  ::). but  .... what is it?
Thanks Smiley
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Weird uploading problems

On Windows line terminators are CR LF, on the web server the line endings are LF only - the conversion is done automatically by the FTP transfer. The file sizes are therefore always a bit smaller than on your local PC.
The most usual problem with images not displaying or files not being available is that absolute paths have been used instead of relative paths. If you give us your website URL we will probably be able to tell you very quickly what is wrong.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Are the file paths the same as they were on your local system for the images? - It sounds like a file path issue. If you give us the address we can take a look at the source.
File sizes do vary from one OS to another - Windows reports 2 different sizes in XP - it shows the file size and then the file on disk size... whatever thats meant to mean! I wouldn't worry about the file sizes being different on the server.
PDF files will be down to your browser and or adobe reader. Have a prowl around your browsers settings for a adobe plugin and check its enabled. Also check your firewall to be sure it adobe reader has access to the internet.

Jelv, you beat me to it Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
hollytree
Rising Star

Hi okrrzynska and jelv ... and thanks for picking up on these problems.
TBH, I'm really struggling to understand what you're saying! No offence intended but I havent a clue about the difference between relative and fixed paths. Embarrassed Cry
All I can tell you is that, many months ago, I uploaded an NVU-prepared webpage with images on it to my site and it worked fine.  This time it hasn't  Sad 
NVU lets you test the pages out and they worked perfectly on my local system. I uploaded them and they dont work.
As for the pdf files, they too were tested prior to uploading and worked fine until they were uploaded! I'm confident there are no firewall or adobe reader issues.
The file paths are absolutely identical to the paths on my local system. Everything was/is within one directory.
7up
Community Veteran

What is the website address? - We need to be able to see the site to be able to view the html code it is using.
Fixed or relative file paths could be anything.. Say for example you designed your site in c:\mysite - the image paths in your websites html could be pointing to c:\mysite\myimage.jpg instead of simply myimage.jpg. When your browser tries to download the image it requests it from the server as c:\mysite\myimage.jpg which of course won't be available because linux doesn't use a c: drive and secondly you'll have a different file path than \mysite.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are the file sizes of the PDF and image files (in bytes) identical on your computer and on homepages? If they aren't the problem is perhaps that they've been uploaded as ASCII rather than binary. CuteFTP should have the option to do either.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't think there's any point speculating here as it could be any number of things. Until hollytree does as both okrzynska and I have requested and tells us the website address there's little more help we can offer. Once they do I'm pretty sure we will be able to tell them what is wrong very quickly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

http://www.hollytree16.plus.com/index.html
and the links for the images seem to refer to non existent locations
7up
Community Veteran

Not found - 404
URL requested (/logo for website) not found

Thats the parent directory for the images. I've tried going into /circles logo/10x2 etc just in case and that wasn't found either.
To make a long story short, log into your site via ftp again and check to see that the directory with your images is actually there.
EDIT:
This could be the problem:

src="../../logo%20for%20website/circles%20logo/10x2banner%20pib%20homepage.jpg"

Note the ../../ in there. I suspect that the directory containing the images on your local hard drive is outside of the websites parent directory on your hard drive. On  the website it needs to be IN the same directory because the users browser can ONLY request files in the same directory on most basic configurations.
What is happening here is that your browser is attempting to call images from a directory 2 levels up from your htdocs folder on your PN hosting. The webserver is unable to serve these images as they're not inside htdocs.
To fix this, you need to move the images directory (logo for website) IN TO your htdocs folder and manually adjust the src= paths by getting rid of ../../ I would highly recommend you do this on your local hard drive too because otherwise the next time you change the page and upload it you will have the same problems all over again.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Folders should not have spaces, plus File names should not have spaces in them.
Should be like this:

http://www.hollytree16.plus.com/logo_for_website/circles_logo/10x2banner_pib_homepage.jpg

7up
Community Veteran

Actually they can. Most browsers will automatically url encode the space to %20 which is automatically decoded by the server. The space isn't the problem here its the ../../ that is.
hollytree
Rising Star

Wow, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since I was last on this particular forum so a huge "thank you" to all for you for your massively helpful feedback. Smiley
Right at the start, I said that I'd probably erred in some blindingly obvious way.... and sure enough I had made the very silly newbie mistake of assuming that the images were somehow contained within the html script for each page. Yeah, yeah, silly me Embarrassed Embarrassed :-[.  Lesson well and truly learned.
So, in the immortal words of the Fast Show's Mark Williams, "I'll get me coat." Embarrassed
PS. How did Old Jim find my site? He clearly moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@okrzynska, Yes but puting spaces in is bad practice, like using upper case, when building a website you should not use spaces or upper case in a file name.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: hollytree
PS. How did Old Jim find my site? He clearly moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform.
It was a guess based on your email address - as a moderator I can see that - and I assumed you wouldn't mind
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: hollytree
So, in the immortal words of the Fast Show's Mark Williams, "I'll get me coat." Embarrassed

Seriously don't get yourself down about it, we've ALL done this type of thing. Even once we've been at it a while we still make stupid blunders.
@MC: You might think its bad practice to use spaces in urls but I've known several commercial websites which do it and as far as I'm aware there isn't an RFC which recommends against it. As I've said, all browsers url encode the space anyway which is automatically url decoded at the other end automatically so it doesn't really make any difference Wink