cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webstats not generated (again on 29th July)?

Tony_W
Grafter

Webstats not generated (again on 29th July)?

Mine are still showing those generated early yesterday. Nothing on the service status so far.
Anyone else affected?
Tony
16 REPLIES 16
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Webstats not generated?

There was a problem this morning Tony. Apologies for not getting something onto the Service Status pages, I'll do that now...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tony_W
Grafter

Seems to have happened again today - still showing those generated ~5pm yesterday.
Tony
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Webstats not generated (again on 29th July)?

Service status has been updated.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Tony
still showing those generated ~5pm yesterday.

from service status 28/07
Missing Webstats (62887) - NEW
We are currently investigating a problem affecting the generation of customers' webstats and raw log files.
... Our network engineers are investigating and we will provide a further update once we have more information.

Good to see the stats due 28/07 (for prev day 27/07) did appear (5.15pm~ish here, yesterday) but was surprised that today's (for 28/07) didn't generate at the usual early-morning hour.  Usually whenever a previous run of Webstats has been retrieved on the "due day", the next day's run generates fine.
Have seen today's Service Status update (for which thanks), just wondered if there was any news yet on what might have caused the webstats not to run (automatically) in the early hours of 28/07.
Best regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yesterday's issue was caused by a permissions error following the work last week to relocate webstats to a different server, this morning's fail appears to be due to an adjustment to the script made yesterday.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

okay, and thanks, Chris.  Appreciate the update Smiley
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Webstats should now have updated for the vast majority of sites, there are about 2000 which are still to be processed. I'm running a clean up script and hope that they will complete in the next hour or so.
Raw logs should be in place for most sites now, there are about 9000 which are currently awaiting processing, which will be kicked off by the clean up script when it's done the webstats processing.
I'm sorry for any disruption this has caused, I've spend the last few weeks moving the webstats data from the old webstats processing servers to our netapp storage, which will make the whole platform more reliable and should reduce instances like this to a minimum. As you can see we've had a few teething issues, but I am confident we're getting to the end of these and should have the service back up and running without any of these sort of hitches.
If anyone's wondering why we're moving away from the webstats servers, it's mainly due to issues with the current hardware which is increasingly causing delays in processing. We have had to make this change quite quickly as the hardware is getting to the end of it's useful life and has recently become much more unreliable.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Ben
... as the hardware is getting to the end of it's useful life and has recently become much more unreliable.

Smiley
B.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Not quite that old Smiley
All the webstats and raw logs should be up to date now. Hopefully it will run smoothly tonight, I'll be checking when I get in to the office to make sure.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've had a look at the webstats and it all looks fine today. There are a few more improvements to be made however this is likely to be done after the weekend now.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris
issue was caused by a permissions error following the work last week to relocate webstats to a different server

Just a note to flag up that the Webstats due today (for 03/08) haven't appeared this morning.  Didn't especially want to start a new thread, given that today's issues may still be linked somehow with the server move, but just mentioning as nothing seen on Service Status.
Regards,
Penny.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've been doing some more work on webstats again and I saw that it hadn't run. After some initial investigation I'm not sure of the cause of this but it doesn't seem to be related to the changes I made. We weren't expecting any customer impact so it wasn't announced.
I've just kicked it off and it's got further than the initial checks it failed on last time, and I've just let comms know so I imagine a service status post will be out soon. I'd expect the processing to be complete in two or three hours, however it's the first time we've run the script on this platform so I don't know exactly how long it will take.
Edit: Forgot to add, once the script has run I'll be able to look more in depth to see if I can find the cause.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers Ben,
I've just posted this to service status so you should see the update within a couple of minutes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

thanks Ben, appreciate the update and background info.