Did you mean: 

Webstats delayed

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Webstats delayed

morning all.
Webstats generation doesn't seem to have happened yet today - have looked on service status and didn't see anything that might be related.
However yesterday's run shows as 08.44 BST, about four hours later than usual, so I waited a little before posting here in case there's some background delay overflow that might have held things up.
Anyone else got their stats?

Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
15 REPLIES 15
pengyou
Grafter

Re: Webstats delayed

No sign of my webstats yet; recently they've had a timestamp between 04:30 and 05:00.
Yesterday's data was timestamped 08:41 which is about 4 hours later than usual.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This is actually a very serious question
If a website and stats are so important why not use a decent hosting provider as the cost isn't really that much
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: pengyou
No sign of my webstats yet ...
Yesterday's data was timestamped 08:41 which is about 4 hours later than usual.

thanks pengyou.  Had hoped someone from PN would have seen this thread but no sign of the Webstats yet so I assume not.
Have just raised a ticket - #112352355 - so I hope it's not too late for someone to wind the starting-handle on the generator.  Interesting journey round 'help and support' trying to find somewhere to raise a ticket lol   eventually located such a page at https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22986&wizard_id=38 , in case that's of use to anyone trying to start a ticket about Webstats, for future reference - ticket category 'more questions about webspace', subcategory 'yet more questions about webspace', so I trust that was about the right ballpark : /
Fingers crossed someone starts the run before the end of the day.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've let our engineers know guys, and we'll do our best to recover the missing data.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I raised ticket 112350876 via live chat at 4:47pm, Saturday 10 Oct 2015. It's still waiting to be picked up. I mentioned that procedures should require networks to be called out to run the stats manually. However I did not get the impression that the urgency was understood.
David
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Still no webstats logs after those created 09/10/2015 at 08:49.
David
David
pengyou
Grafter

Same here, the most recent file is timestamped 08:41 on Friday 9 October.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Bob
I've let our engineers know guys ... we'll do our best to recover the missing data.

Thanks Bob Smiley  sorry for the delay in replying but has been some blitz of a weekend.
Quote from: spraxyt
no webstats logs after those created 09/10/2015 at 08:49.

... in which case I'm cautiously optimistic that we might get both lots of stats (Saturday's and Sunday's).  Long time back - years now - there was an incidence where the stats were held back until they could all be run in the right order (doesn't work if one is skipped, clearly).  As far as I remember there were three or four days' stats delayed, but because the auto-run had been stopped it was then possible for them to be run manually in the right sequence, so all the data progressively appeared.
No idea if that's what's happened this time, but if the engineers have stopped the auto-runs in the meantime, they might hopefully be able to run Saturday/Sunday/Monday outputs in sequence during Monday.  Hoping so, anyway Smiley
kdiment
Rising Star

I am pleased to see some webstats have appeared. It seems that, for me at least, the file timestamped 05:41 12/10/15 contains all the missing entries dated 09/10, while the file timestamped 01:34 12/10/15 contains entries dated 10/10 (but only up to about 10.00am) and entries dated 11/10 (but only after about 10.00am). Slightly confusing but a lot better than nothing!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm fairly certain that if the data's not complete for 10am Saturday > 10.00am Sunday, then it's irrecoverable now Sad
Keep an eye on it tomorrow and let me know if you notice anything else untoward.
The problem was due to an issue with one of our storage mounts that went undetected (until this issue was realised).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks for that information Bob.
My raw stats replicate the content mentioned by @kdiment; files created circa 12/10/15 01:30 contain hits from early 10/10/15 and late 11/10/15; files created circa 12/10/15 05:30 contain hits from 09/10/15. However traffic on my sites is insufficient to identify when the 10/10 to 11/10 switch occurred.
For the summaries presented in webstats it looks like the files could have been analysed out of sequence in content terms. Unfortunately this means that hits for 09/10/15 are shown as zero.
David
David
kaspencer
Rising Star

When Bob Pullen says: " ... that went undetected (until this issue was realised).  ..." that sums up the issue completely.
When I last had an issue and lost my webstat logs, I was told that a mechanism for daily checking of receipt of web stat logs would be put in place. It really is not acceptable to leave it to users to raise issues and tickets before taking action, or before even discovering that something is broken.
Also, as mentioned by someone earlier, Plus Net seem to have moved the Ticket Raising page to somewhere on the dark side of the moon - it took me half an hour to find it. Before that, I tried to raise Jess from her sleeping stupor, to have a chat about this, but she remained out for the count.
Bob: improvement needed in procedures eh?
Kenneth Spencer
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: kaspencer
When I last had an issue and lost my webstat logs, I was told that a mechanism for daily checking of receipt of web stat logs would be put in place. It really is not acceptable to leave it to users to raise issues and tickets before taking action, or before even discovering that something is broken.

There is monitoring in place, and said monitoring normally flags any issue to our 24/7 engineers. On this occasion, the processing completed so the alert was not triggered. It was the subsequent copying of data to users' directories that fell over due to the previously mentioned issue with the storage mounts (still under investigation I believe).
Quote from: kaspencer
Also, as mentioned by someone earlier, Plus Net seem to have moved the Ticket Raising page to somewhere on the dark side of the moon...

contactus.plus.net, however due to the time sensitive nature of problems with webstats generation, chat or phone is probably the better option if it's available.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Bob
contactus.plus.net, however due to the time sensitive nature of problems with webstats generation, chat or phone is probably the better option if it's available.

What are the chances of getting an agent who firstly actually knows what webstats are and secondly understands the time critical importance of getting the issue investigated?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)