Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webstats data for 22/01/18

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Webstats data for 22/01/18

Today's Webstats run [ie the figures for 22/01/18] doesn't appear to have happened (or completed) as yet.

I went to look on Service Status http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&%3fhelpheader=servicestatus to see if there had been some routine maintenance (or whatever) that might have delayed this.

On that page, at the bottom - underneath Broadband, Phone, E-mail, TV - are two clickable options, "All Live Updates" and "Announcements".

Clicking on either of those (which would usually detail all recent PN maintenance activity etc.), goes nowhere (ie page content doesn't change, address bar doesn't change).

Am using IE11, which has been known to behave oddly at times, so I went and checked in FF (latest update), same outcome.

(1) Could someone please kick off the Webstats run, if it hasn't started yet.

(2) Maybe the lack of working links on the Service Status page, could be looked at.

Thanks Smiley

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
23 REPLIES 23
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Webstats data for 22/01/18

Same for me @Penny. The last stats I got were generated *yesterday* morning around 5am.

Service Status posts are currently only on Community. The last post there was on 13/01/2018.

David
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

A bug was identified on the service status page and has been fixed ready for the next release. There was a javascript error on the page which blocked the expanding of the content at the bottom of the page.

How do I know it has been fixed ready for release? I did it myself Smiley

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Just to go by @spraxyt and the community service status - the last update to the service status page is the same. Here is a screenshot with the expanders open:

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 13.38.00.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-23 at 13.37.45.png

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@jaread83 wrote:
A bug was identified on the service status page and has been fixed ready for the next release. There was a javascript error on the page which blocked the expanding of the content at the bottom of the page.

Thanks @jaread83 and @spraxyt for the replies.

Good to know the service status links should work after the next release (and thanks for the expanded-view screenshots).

Meanwhile today's Webstats run still hasn't appeared - would it be possible for someone to start the run manually? just looked at the "who's on line" avatars and 11 staff/admin members are shown, but wasn't sure who to flag, for this 😕

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
kdiment
Rising Star

It's now 24th Jan and webstats for neither 22nd nor 23rd have yet appeared. Is anyone doing anything about this?

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

It's been escalated by one of the other Superusers and I believe is being investigated at present;  don't have any more info right now but at least if they haven't run today's, there's some prospect that both days' logs can be run in chronological order so that none of the data is lost.

I'll post back as/when I know anything further, unless the Webstats materialise in the interim : )

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

kaspencer
Rising Star

I too have no webstats for 22nd January onwards. The data is more-or-less the same as that for 21st.

I thought that a specified person had been allocated to check daily that webstats were being posted rather than react only to user complaints. You've let yourselves down again, chaps.

On the same subject, i.e. webstats: have you recently changed the time of deposit of the webstat files? It certainly looks thus. So why didn't we get notified? And why has it been changed?
And please could you increase the idle time before disconnection on my FTP account? I can hardly allow time between keystrokes before being chucked off!
Sometimes I feel like a mushroom: kept in the dark and occasionally thrown some dung!

Kenneth Spencer

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Thanks for your patience guys, it should be fixed by the end of the day today and we're aiming to get as much of the old data as possible restored.

I thought that a specified person had been allocated to check daily that webstats were being posted rather than react only to user complaints. You've let yourselves down again, chaps.

The script is checked everyday but looked to be completing normally, that's why we didn't notice. The next process is where we fell down, we weren't publishing the data. We've now added monitoring of this process to the workflow to reduce chances of this going unnoticed again.

On the same subject, i.e. webstats: have you recently changed the time of deposit of the webstat files? It certainly looks thus. So why didn't we get notified? And why has it been changed?

I don't think there's been a change but I'll find out for you.

And please could you increase the idle time before disconnection on my FTP account? I can hardly allow time between keystrokes before being chucked off!

I'll enquire about this but this is the first time we've had this feedback.

Kenneth Spencer

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I received new raw logs today 25/01/2018 at 18:30. The files are larger than normal but I've yet to take a look at their contents or the analysed webstats.

David
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@JonoH wrote:

Thanks for your patience guys, it should be fixed by the end of the day today

Webstats have arrived here - 6.25pm - however only for yesterday (24th Jan) with the two preceding days lost, sadly.

*however* the stats look a bit odd, 87% "unknown" on the pie chart, anyone else seeing this?

JonoH wrote: 

The script is checked everyday but looked to be completing normally, that's why we didn't notice. The next process is where we fell down, we weren't publishing the data. We've now added monitoring of this process to the workflow to reduce chances of this going unnoticed again

Brilliant. Really positive that someone has thought to do this.

@kaspencer wrote:

@kaspencer  Is there any possibility your FTP program sets the idle time?

I only ask because the one I use, Flash FXP - https://www.flashfxp.com/ - free trial but I purchased some years back, $25 lifetime cost it was then - has an option (Options - Preferences - Keep Alives) to stop the connection dropping.

I've never needed to use that, but I do use the main set-up (Options - Preferences - Connection) which has settings for Connect Timeout, Connect retry delay, Connect retry count, the first of which at least, you might be able to amend on whatever FTP program you use.

kaspencer
Rising Star

Thanks @Penny for the point raised (i.e. FTP client idle setting). I know my client is old (WS_FTP) and I have used it for as long as I remember, but it works and I saw no reason to change it. As far as I can see there are no options that might limit connection idle time. And I use lots of FTP sites (including two of my own servers) and they don't cut me off. And, although Plusnet's FTP has always been a bit sensitive about idle time, I think that more recently it seems to have become much more sensitive.

As it seems that some people have got their missing webstats now, or some of them, I'll go and see whether I have.

Best wishes

Ken

kdiment
Rising Star

Like others, my webstats for 24th Jan have now appeared (good).

I suppose, however, that we shall never see those for 22nd or 23rd (not so good).

It is really surprising that what seem to be teething troubles are only just coming to light after many years of operation. I guess it is more likely that something else has changed recently and had unforeseen side effects. It does make Plusnet look a bit amateurish.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@spraxyt wrote:

I received new raw logs today 25/01/2018 at 18:30. The files are larger than normal but I've yet to take a look at their contents or the analysed webstats.

My raw logs contain data only for 24/01/2018 confirming the view from Webalizer that data for 22 and 23/01/2018 has been lost. Sad

Though my files were larger than usual it seems yesterday was popular for search engine crawler visits.

David
kaspencer
Rising Star

Indeed, although my stats for 24th have arrived, I too seem to have lost those for the 22nd and 23rd.

Although I have said it before, I must repeat: these episodes surely underline the need for a proper check of the webstats process and not leave notifications of issues to users.

@Penny and @JonoH I have checked with FileZilla, and both of my FTP clients disconnect me after about 10-15 seconds (possibly even less as I haven't timed it precisely). Is there a chance of getting increased at the server end because I cannot see it's happening as a result of a client setting.

Thanks in advance ...

Ken