Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webstats and Webalizer install?

Cathotel
Grafter

Webstats and Webalizer install?

Hi,
Firstly please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I would be very grateful for some help to get started or abort my mission Smiley
I have my stats log files being produced Ok and just getting round to trying to use them! The PN help page is very helpful, but the link to Webalizer home page to install the program doesn't cater for web 'noobs' like me.
I had assumed this would be available for straight forward install/use on a Windows Vista PC/laptop but I can't see this being the case.  Plenty about Linux/Unix and having walked from the IT industry 2 years ago I have no desire to go back down that route!
I simply wanted to see daily events rather than the cumulative ones on the PN webstats summary.
If any kind person can put me out of my misery or point me in an idiots guide direction I would be grateful.
Many thanks..
Pete
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Webstats and Webalizer install?

There might be Webalizer binaries about that will run on Windows but I don't know of any. It will run on PCs but ones running Linux rather than Windows. In any case are you sure that application is suitable for your needs? It is more orientated to analysing which web pages are visited, where visitors are from and how many pages they view rather than the files requested. In fact by default only "page" files are separately identified.
If I remember correctly a primary objective for requesting the complete logs was to check up on what was using up your bandwidth, with the suspicion that hot-linked images from eBay might be the culprit.
Depending on how large your log files are, visual inspection of logs for typical days might provide the answer to that question. Writing a suitable ad-hoc Perl program might be appropriate for larger logs or if a more detailed analysis is required.
David
David
pengyou
Grafter

There might be Webalizer binaries about that will run on Windows but I don't know of any

The Webalizer site's "Download" page has links to some external sites and one of those has Windows binaries.
http://www.webalizer.org/download.html
The current stable version of Webalizer is 2.23-05. Although the Windows link on the "Download" page says "Version 2.21-02 for Windows" the link leads to a page that offers webalizer-2.23-04-cygwin.zip.
These binaries work OK on my Windows 7 system.
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi both,
I was just about to add that having 'lost my temper and given up with the DOS version' I went old school (like me!) jiggled about loading the file into Excel and applying text to columns and I got all the info I wanted. I can see why my partner has nearly lost us our webspace again (camera set on high res!!) with high KBF transfers.
I then looked further and found way down the Webalizer homepage some reference to a Windows install with a cygwin dll etc and within 10 mins I have it all working. I just couldn't get anywhere with what they called a DOS version zip file.
I then saw here that you kind folks could have got me there a few hours earlier Smiley  I feel like I cried wolf and wasted your time  Embarrassed
If anyone else has trouble I can confirm webalizer-2.23-04-cygwin.zip works on Vista Home Premium too.
Many thanks to both of you for taking the time to read and reply.
Cheers,
Pete