cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace removed/archived due to bandwidth being exceeded, webstats doesn't agree?

madgav
Grafter

Webspace removed/archived due to bandwidth being exceeded, webstats doesn't agree?

Hi,

I'm a very old plusnet customer (since 2003) and still have webspace provided. Today I received an email saying that my webspace has been removed/archived due to the daily bandwidth allowance being exceeded. However I have checked webstats and this does not appear to be the case, see daily usage stats in attached file.

Am I misreading something? Also, the email said my bandwidth was exceeded by 103116 KB. If you look at the attached webstats daily usage summary the actual usage for 20th May (yesterday) was 103117 KB, i.e. virtually identical!

Is this therefore likely to be an error? I believe I am allowed 250 MB daily usage so it seems based on webstats on no day have I come close to exceeding this.

Also, is it still possible to raise a support ticket? Seeems they are making this harder and harder. I have already phoned PN but unfortunately the customer support agent did not know anything about webspace.

Thanks for any help, hopefully someone from PN will read this and be able to assist.

Gavin.

16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Webspace removed/archived due to bandwidth being exceeded, webstats doesn't agree?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
d-dixon
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Re: Webspace removed/archived due to bandwidth being exceeded, webstats doesn't agree?

I got a similar message, although there is actually a chance that some bandwidth was used.  My excess also equals the total usage.

The email (below) needs to be re-written - the guidance is to contact Plusnet "via the website" and not to email or call - where on the website?  Both links provided are dead.

I'm not too chuffed about having an email from the "abuse team" either...My daily bandwidth for every other day in May is between 0 and 7 kB.

I've raised a ticket (I was naughty - and phoned) but in case this gets read by support, please unarchive my site - I promise to be a Good Boy and never "abuse" my webspace again.

Dear Customer,

It has come to our attention that in the last 24 hours your website
has exceeded its bandwidth allowance by a significant amount.

Unfortunately, because of the amount over the limit, your site has
been archived.  Please contact us through the website if you want
your site to be restored. - we cannot do this by email or over the
telephone.

Your website used 336624 KB OVER its bandwidth transfer
allowance during the last 24 hours.

You may be interested in upgrading to an account with a higher
bandwidth quota; details of the bandwidth allowances are available
on our website at the following URL:

http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/tips_and_info/webspace_faq.shtml#9

You can request that your website be restored by following the guidelines
provided on our webspace FAQ:

http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/tips_and_info/webspace_faq.shtml#7

A condition of your site being restored is that you take precautions to ensure that
future levels of usage don't exceed what is allowed on your account.

Kind regards,

PlusNet Abuse Team
http://www.plus.net/

Email ref: E0428
--
PlusNet plc
Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
Registered in England no: 3279013

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Gavin, I'm sorry to see we've archived and removed your website. 

I've had a look into this for you and I'll be honest as always and say I'm not actually sure what's gone wrong here but from what you've said there does seem to be something wrong. Very few of us know about our webspace side of things as it's a bit of a legacy product but I've passed it across to our NetOps team to investigate and advise further. 

Really sorry for the time you'll be without your site. 

In the meantime if @bobpullen is around to lend a helping hand he might be able to assist. 

We started the process of taking away the ability for you to raise a ticket online about six years ago and actually only just recently completed that so the only type of tickets you can raise are faults (faults.plus.net) and complaints (via the code of practice at the bottom of the site)

I've raised a support ticket on your account though you can view and reply to by logging into your account and clicking on the view all questions asked banner, or logging in and clicking Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
madgav
Grafter

Hi d-dixon,

Yep, I got eactly the same email. Although in your case it does look like you may have have exceeded your daily allowance, if only for one day.

I agree that the links in the email are dead. Also like you I'm not super-chuffed to see an email from 'abuse'. And I think a warning might be appropriate for exceeding briefly, rather than removing the website. Especially as it looks like it is going to take a few days at least for it to be reinstated. It's only a personal web site, nothing too critical, but annoying nevertheless.

Hope you get it sorted.

madgav
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

Many thanks for the quick reply and for raising a ticket for me. I've now added some info to the ticket to ask the main question, which is why is the 'exceedance' the same as the 'actual' usage in Webstats? And to point out that the actuals seems to be well below the allowance on all days that I've looked at.

Yes fully understand this is a legacy product and I understand if it's not something you have to deal with very often - the guy I spoke to was very apologetic for not knowing the answer to my questions.

It's a shame the ticket system has been removed after being run down over a period of years. It was always very useful for raising any issues which were generally sorted in a reasonably short space of time.

Best regards

Gavin.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Gavin, no problem I've seen your message on the ticket and I've messaged you back.

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions but I'll see what I can do to find out and I'll get back to you as soon as I know more, this should be early next week as our NetOps guys have gone home for the weekend unfortunately. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Gavin, we've put your website back online first thing this morning. I'm asking why this had happened in the first place and for some clarification on the discrepancy between the actual usage on webstats and the 'exceedance' stats. 

I'll post back as soon as I know more. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
d-dixon
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

Could you please look at my similar case, as above?  I thought a ticket had been raised after phoning on Friday but I can't see any evidence of this.

Thank you,

David

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi David,

Apologies for missing your post. I’ll get on this tomorrow when I’m back in the office. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
madgav
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

Thanks very much for this, much appreciated.👍

Yes it would be good to know how this apparent error occurred and if it can be prevented from happening again.

Best regards

Gavin.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi Gavin,

No problem at all! Will let you know what I find out. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@d-dixon I'm happy to confirm your website has now been restored.

@madgav Haven't been able to find out what's caused this, but we recognise we've made an error. We're investigating internally to try to ensure that this doesn't happen again. Really sorry for what had happened.

Let me know if there's further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
d-dixon
Hooked

Thank you Anoush - yes, all back now.  I had provided some further feedback in my ticket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah that's good to see David and thanks for the feedback.

I'll reply to the ticket shortly

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet