cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace gone?

Pooks
Grafter

Webspace gone?

I received a notification through that my service had been stopped due to non-payment.  I wasn't around at the time that this happened and there should have been money in the account but for various reasons there wasn't.
As soon as I realised, I paid the out standing amount.  My personal webspace was fine but the CGI space never came back to life.
I decided to call PlusNET.  At that point I was told that it could take up to 24 hours (no longer).  This was about 12 hours after payment.  After 26 hours I decided to call again.  I was told that he had made some changed to my account and it could take up to 8 hours.  I have just got in to discover that it still isn't working.
I have tried to call Tech Support on both the local and 0845 numbers but it appears to have died.
Any suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11
Pooks
Grafter

Re: Webspace gone?

A little update.
I managed to get through to tech support (the number worked next time I tried it).  I asked to speak to a supervisor and was informed that my CGI webspace is indeed gone.  Deleted, kaput, extinct.
As a longstanding PlusNET customer I didn't think that months of work on my behalf would just be deleted without second thought.  I passed on my thoughts to the customer representative that talked to me who suggested that I, 'raise a ticket'. 
I have recommended many people to PlusNET and haven't exploited the referrels.  They have joined up without me gaining a penny and I get rewarded by PlusNET deleting my webspace.
Pooks, signing off, thoroughly pissed off.
P.S. They wouldn't offer me any compensation either.
samuria
Grafter

One would assume that before they deleted anything like this they would take a backup as its common sense
Pooks
Grafter

As an afterthought...
...the techies that I spoke to both ensured me that the webspace would be reinstated but it would take time.  The first guy I spoke to told me it would take no more than 24 hours.  The second guy told me it could take up to 8 hours (this was after the initial 24 hours).
So who is right?  Are the tech support guys kept in the dark and don't know about how loyal customers webspaces are deleted or do they know and the, "It'll be alright in a few hours", trick will get them off the phone?
I have worked as TS Manager for an ISP in the past and so know all the tricks of the trade but deleting a users webspace is something I wouldn't even have considered.
Pooks
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
One would assume that before they deleted anything like this they would take a backup as its common sense

I enquired about a backup and it was instigated that I should have a local backup.  Which I do.  But it is from at least a month ago and I have done a lot of work since then.
People.  Don't miss a payment. for christs sakes..
Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello there,
I'm quite shocked that this has happened! I would be fumid personally...
I've written my own Backup Shell Script for my Website,
because I am that fussy about Data from my experience with running Wolfstuff...
(If you would like a framework, I would only be happy to post one)
Are they certain that the Data cannot be recovered - at all?
I thought that PlusNet created Backups (from time to time)?
I bet it can be recovered provided the disk(s) are allocated in chunks for each customers space,
the sectors would possibly be untouched if that well managed.
This maybe unlikely, or not even possible I am not sure.
If not there is a reduced chance of recovering the data, but not all is lost...
As we all know, disk surfaces are continuous so it would just be a case of scanning at different intervals to recover the bits.
But, that then means removing &/ mirroring the Disk to analise the Disk better,
which would impend upon other Customers Websites.
It's a sticky situation, unfortunately this will be a learning curve for both parties.
In the ideal world Customers should keep very regular Backups in the region of 1 week / fortnightly intervals.
The preferable way is possibly by using cron jobs and a Script to save man hours,
which impends on your Web Space, if you use a Server Side script to create an easy to transfer snapshot...
PlusNet shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion like that, I wouldn't have expected that response myself.
it can cause problems all round - like this case from what I see.
It can really put off Customers who are: happy with the good level Service (Generally),
give the ISPs as a group a good Status and encourage new Members and Registrations.
Hope it all works out for you Pooks!
Jim,
Pooks
Grafter

Contacted them again today to be told that the files should not have been deleted.  The mySQL information is still intact and it is just the files that are missing.  The person I spoke to was very helpful but suggested that I raise a ticket so the Network guys can look into it.  I have just done this so hopefully they will be able to restore the files from a backup and save me a lot of heartache.
Pooks
Grafter

Just noticed that PlusNET had a 'Data Centre Problem (52413)' on Friday the 4th.  My (now empty) CGI space shows a last modified date of 05/07/2008 01:16:00
Looks like it could be connected.  Has anybody else noticed any problems around these dates?
decomplexity
Rising Star

As Pooks said: "People.  Don't miss a payment..."
But even if you pay by direct debit and your bank account is generously in credit, you can still get shut down. I came gnat's whisker of this some months ago when I added a new (chargeable) domain and assumed that PN would simply add the one-off (annual) cost to the direct debit. WRONG: I also apparently need to have a debit or credit card set up in addition to my direct debit, although this was - and perhaps still is - not documented anywhere.
Did anyone tell me. NO
Did I receive any warning emails. NO
The only way I found out was via a letter delivered on the day I was due to be disconnected!

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Pooks
Grafter

I received a reply to the question I raised:-
Dear Mr Robertson,
Failed billing should not result in your webspace being removed, though I can see that the cgi space is empty. Unfortunately, we do not keep backups of customer's websites, so we would not be able to restore any lost files for you. It should, however be possible for them to be uploaded again by yourself.
Kind regards,
[CSA Name Removed]

Cry  Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me.  Number 1 will be to source a new hosting provider.  PlusNET has served me well over the years but the webspace side of things needs to be looked at.  IIRC this is the second time that my webspace has disappeared.  Undecided
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Customer service agents name removed as per Forum Rules mod:end
Pooks
Grafter

My apologies re mod edit.  I wasn't intending to name and shame anyone.
I still have no definitive answer as to why my webspace disappeared though.  I wish somebody would own up and say, 'Yes it was a cock-up, we are very sorry and it won't happen again'.
Pooks signing off (to go and try and resurrect a website).
kelcou

Sorry to read of your problem, Pooks.
I can't comment on the technical side and what Plusnet should or should'nt do but, without fear of going too far off post, comment on my situation.
I pay by DD, I don't have debit or credit cards. I'm on a very low income and could see a serious glitch in my finances approaching. Most of my DD's I can shuffle about online a week or two here or there which really helps [if needs be]. I contacted plusnet with a view of moving my DD forward a week or so to allow money due to hit the account otherwise the DD would bounce. It took a few days, I had to have a one-off charge added to cover the 'extra' week or so - something no-one else has asked for, but I do see and appreciate their pov. It was a bit cumbersome but mainly both Plusnet and myself swapping messages and ensuring we understood what the other was talking about! But it was done and for that I'm very thankfull.
Whilst your problem was a surprise, Pooks, and you could'nt see it coming, if others do see a hiccup its well worth getting in touch with them.
Sorry its a little off-post.
Kindest regards
Rae