cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace Used

thejudge
Rising Star

Webspace Used

According to the 'Webspace Used' in my Website Settings, I'm using 230MB of my 250MB allowance.

I have mirrors of my websites (www.thejudge.me.uk and www.judgemental.plus.com) on my HDD, and they only come to 169MB between them.

Can someone tell me what is causing the discrepancy?

14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Webspace Used

Have you checked directories above your websites, e.g. the logs directory?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thejudge
Rising Star

Yup - that's showing as empty.

thejudge
Rising Star

Anyone? Undecided

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Not a direct answer to your question but for my standard webspace, if I add up directory contents sizes shown by FileZilla for my files I get 8.3 MB. The total shown in Member Centre is 34 MB, some 4 times larger.

Additional space will be taken up by the directories, which I haven't counted, but allowing an arbitrary 10% overhead for these gets nowhere near what Member Centre shows.

David
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Could be down to default cluster size.

A 1 byte file on an NTFS filing system uses as little as 4KB whereas on exFAT it could be as much as 128KB Shocked

thejudge
Rising Star

I've just gone through all the directories and files on the webspace with CoreFTP, and it comes out with the figure as I gave it in my first post.

I did raise this issue via a ticket a three or four years or so ago, but was given a bit of a fobbing off (as I remember it, they said that the difference could be accounted for by log files which weren't counted towards my allocation of space; no, I didn't believe it, but I let it ride for the time being), but if that's the only way of getting it looked at I might have to go down that road again.

Thanks for your help so far.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

I have a lot of small files so block or sub-block wasted space overheads could be large. In my case remaining space is not an issue so I'm less concerned by the calculated and reported space usage discrepancy.

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

As an experiment I added a single 3.94MB file to my website; the control panel space-used report went up from 34MB to 38MB which is correct.

David
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's highly unlikely that Plusnet use NTFS to store files for a website.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

thejudge
Rising Star

This has now become (temporarily, I hope) irrelevant because I had an e-mail this morning telling me that my site had been 'archived' because of very high bandwidth use over the previous 24 hours (I don't know why this has happened - it isn't anything that I've done to it) Huh. So now I have to wait for them to restore it (if they choose to, of course).

Time to look for a new host, I think... Ticked_off

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You did post links to your sites in a very public place which might of driven extra traffic to them!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thejudge
Rising Star

And there was me thinking that the idea of having a website was to draw people's attention to it.Huh

At the risk of taking this off the original topic, looking at my webstats (I still have access to those, at least!), I can see that one IP address was responsible for the huge spike in bandwidth on 21~22/01 (something like 80% over my limit!): one within a btcentralplus.com address range which seems to have grabbed 481MB of data. Also, most of the downloading has come via a wget command. This looks dodgy to me. If I ever get my site back, I'm adding an exclusion to .htaccess to stop wget (although I know that will only work for un-spoofed requests).

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How do you do that?

Also, there are many other programs that can get URL data.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

thejudge
Rising Star

Apparently by adding this:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} wget [NC]

Of course, I've no way of knowing whether or not it will work at all until I get my site back.