cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace, CCGI and Domain

Tyreal74
Grafter

Webspace, CCGI and Domain

Forgive me for being a dunce today, its like watching sheffield wednesday - boring but back on topic.
if i move my domain to my ccgi can i still use domain/files for exmaple to access files on my webserver
i understand that theyre separate but was wondering if i would have to move all my files to ccgi to use them in forums and such - it would make sense but i just wanna clarify before i set up my domain on ccgi and build my cms
tia
7 REPLIES 7
logical
Grafter

Re: Webspace, CCGI and Domain

Quote from: Tyreal74
Forgive me for being a dunce today, its like watching sheffield wednesday - boring

well, it cannot be that boring, wednesday just beat my team 5-0!
I'm not entirely sure of your question but I will try and answer it:
yes, you can still use those files stored on your www server. Though I believe ou will have to use absolute links rather than relative ones.
I don't know what a cms is (Colour Management System prehaps?) but I think it should be ok.
hth,
Logical
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Content Management System
Enables you to create and manage web content from within the package itself without having to create the individual pages.
I assume by 'my webserver' you mean your www webspace and not your own web server running at hone. If so then you can use both www and ccgi webspace at the same time but you are limited to 250MBytes in total between all your web spaces (which includes Frontpage as well).
Also as both www and ccgi webspaces are on separate servers, you don't have direct access between the two.
Tyreal74
Grafter

ta, ill get to switching my domain to my ccgi then, as long as i can still use the items on my www (plus net) then thats fine
and im a Blade, thats why wednesday are boring - i was dismayed when plusnet announced sponsership of wednesday ah well c'est la vie
thanks for the tips
eileenabbas

hi i do not support any football team but i do have a problem! i revamped my website and then uploaded it to the cgi server which created lots of problems which someone helped with (to do with the speed at uploading time??) anyway that was in August and i have forgotten what i did although the website is working fine. i now want to change something on a page and when i entered my ftp details it came up with the old site...do i have to seek profesional help or can someone explain what i am doing wrong? i have dreamweaver and as long as i can connect to the server will be able to change it myself...sorry i am rambling now ...thanks
Prod_Man
Grafter

@Tyreal74:
Shouldn't have any problems,
you can still use your WWW Space for files if need be.
but if you want simplicity,
just throw it all up on your CCGI space like I've done Cheesy
I'm thinking of working on a CMS with some friends in Europe, (when I eventually find time) it'll be nice to see yours in dveelopment aswell Smiley
@eileenabbas:
you won't need professional help at all.
Make sure you're connecting to the CGI space when Uploading.
ftp://ccgi.ISP.net (usually, except for metronet)
It's not faster or slower, in FTP/S-FTP Uploading & Downloading to the CGI Space.
There are no 'problems' with the CGI Space,
just those who aren't used to touching command line to know what they need to do with a Graphical User Interface.
you'll learn.  It was most probably File Permissions that caused the "problems" (something simple like that).
Good luck.
Jim,
Tyreal74
Grafter

Quote from: Prod_Man
@Tyreal74:
Shouldn't have any problems,
you can still use your WWW Space for files if need be.
but if you want simplicity,
just throw it all up on your CCGI space like I've done Cheesy

i use my  www space at work so keeping www and ccgi separate would be better, would be nice if there was a cp for ccgi so you knwo how much space your using mind
Adam1V
Grafter

@Tyreal74
your total website allocated includes both CGI and WWW parts. If like me you have 500mb allowance you can have any combination, i.e 250mb on each, 499 on www and 1mb on CGI, its up to you Smiley
@eileenabbas
just like Prod Man suggested you shouldnt need any help really. I was fairly new CGI side of things myself a few months back and i now have a number of forums and all sorts of feedback forms etc.
Im not used to command line stuff and personally dont see a reason to start learning it. You can download a Free FTP Client and connect to your CGI space that way.
If you use Smart FTP like myself (or any other ftp program) connect using these details:
Host: ccgi.yourusername.force9.co.uk
(assuming your with force9)
username: yourusername
Password: yourpassword
I would suggest taking a complete copy of your CGI files and backing them up somewhere safe (my documents), then taking another copy to your desktop and modify the desktop files only. If you mess up your website you can revert back.
One thing to bare in mind is you might get problems with permissions, alot of files need to be set the right security (CHMOD), if using smartFTP simply right click the file and select CHMOD and it will tell you the current permission for it.
Any questions ask away.