Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website problem

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Website problem

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, if not no doubt a mod will move it.
I am the webmaster for my bowls club website, when and if I add a new page to the site (as I have recently) all of the url and page hyper-links move backwards one page, i.e page link 20 become page link 19, page link 5 becomes page 4 etc. etc. since there are sixty+ links on the site, this requires the laborious job of resetting every single hyper-link. And now, I can't get the hyper-links to change at all.
I am in contact with the web host service by email (they're normally pretty good in response times), but they seem to be taking a very long time for an answer for this.
I was just wondering if any members here had experienced similar problems.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES 8
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Website problem

What are you using to do the website authoring with?
petlew
Pro

I don't understand your question MC.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

He means.... What program/software are you using to make your web pages ? 
petlew
Pro

It doesn't matter any way, I've heard from the host, whenever I make changes to the website, page hyper-links will always be moved by the number changes made. url website links are unchanged and work normally.
I have therefore changed the page selection method from hyper-link to the much more reliable drop-down sub-menu.
I understand that hyper-links are rarely used for changing pages in websites for the very reason that they can be "occidentally" altered by adding or removing pages.

petlew
Pro

Since I have rebuilt my bowls club website, the next step is to add a new header of my own design. The website host points out that the header should be 850 x 150 pixels, and that sizing is easily accommodated in Photoshop and Picasa, but will resize anything that is uploaded to fit the size but the result may not look exactly as it might have done.
Since I don't have either of those products, can anyone tell we what that size of 850 x 150 pixels equates to in say MS Word or Publisher in mm or inches?
Ta.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Picasa is free.  I use Paint.NET or Irfanview for resizing, both also free - Much easier than trying to do this in Word or Publisher Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

One generally aims for 72 pixels per inch on monitors. However be careful not to save the image you create as a bit-map. It would be a huge file in that format. It needs to be saved as a JPEG for web friendliness.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I use FastStone Image viewer which I find very simple