cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website archived - complaint

gnelmes
Grafter

Website archived - complaint

We'll do you proud - so say Plusnet and indeed they have.
I have been a Plusnet customer for over 12 years and expect better service than the experience I have just had if only because of loyalty and regular payment.
I am self-employed and work as an educational consultant. I only need a small web presence and my domain is hosted by Plusnet.
I awoke this morning to receive a message stating that my webspace has been archived because the bandwidth has been exceeded.  The message, from the unpleasantly named Plusnet Abuse Team, was sent at 4.06 am. The site was just archived - no phone call or message to alert me to the problem and give me the opportunity to rectify it; just removed it.
Consequently Plusnet have compromised my employment at a stroke until the site is restored. I understand the need to restrict excessive bandwidth usage; however I do not spend time every day measuring this as I expect to be alerted politely by Plusnet.
However I cannot afford to have my income put at risk in this way.  Fortunately I am in the process of considering aggregating my phone, internet connection and domain hosting and am now likely to move this away from Plusnet.
Wahtever happened to customer service - a quick phone call would have solved this.
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Website archived - complaint

The problem is that someone could put up something like a large video which goes viral and thousands start downloading it. That could impact on other users if the servers were overloaded as a consequence. That is why the process is totally automatic.
Yes a phone call would be nice, but with over 500,000 users using manual process for this sort of thing would take a lot of resources with an impact on the prices we all pay.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gnelmes
Grafter

That really does not address the issue.  The file in this case is 30Mb and has been downloaded enough times to exceed the bandwidth - I could have easily rectified this.
I am not able to because Plusnet have not restored my website.  It is insufficient to say you have so many customers it is not feasible.  You sent me an email saying it had been archived; you could have sent me an email alerting me to the problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: gnelmes
you could have sent me an email alerting me to the problem.

Err...
I think you are being unreasonable expecting another Plusnet user to monitor your website!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gnelmes
Grafter

Your replies are really not helpful - there is no suggestion in my comments about requesting other users to monitor the site.
Plusnet are monitoring the domain usage. I trust you don't work for Plusnet.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi gnelmes,
Apologies that you have ended up in this situation, as jelv mentioned we have to have this in place so this does not effect other users if something was to go viral and thousands start downloading it.
If you follow the link that is currently on your website, it will raise a ticket to us and then we can take action to get your webpace restored.
gnelmes
Grafter

Thank you
tonyjackson3

Hi Chris,
Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi gnelmes,
Apologies that you have ended up in this situation, as jelv mentioned we have to have this in place so this does not effect other users if something was to go viral and thousands start downloading it.

Yes, but as gnelmes points out, an automatic email sent before the problem has gone ballistic would often enable a user to take action and so avoid getting archived, and as in another case, having their living compromised.

Quote from: chrispurvey
If you follow the link that is currently on your website, it will raise a ticket to us and then we can take action to get your webpace restored.

This will take time, however, which for some people may cause problems.