Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website advice for a novice?

firedemon1
Dabbler

Website advice for a novice?

Hi
I was hoping you could help me. I'm currently working on a website for a friend which I've agreed to host using my F9 account.
He already has a domain name registered elsewhere.
What I want to know is how do I link the domain name to the pages I'm hosting - in other words, how do I make sure that when someone types http://www.xxxxx.co.uk into their browser, they get to the pages I've uploaded.
(Please could you keep the instructions simple - I'm not technical wizard)
Thanks
Ceri
2 REPLIES 2
nac

Re: Website advice for a novice?

Hi Ceri,
I have a similar setup to what you are trying to do. Here's how it works for me: the company with whom I registered my domain name has its own web-site which I can log in to and administer my domain(s). For each domain, I can set up forwarding for email and web address.
So, it sounds like you need to visit the web-site of the company with whom your friend registered the domain, and find out how they administer things.
regards,
Neal.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Website advice for a novice?

Hi Ceri,
There is 2 ways of doing this:
1) The write way change the nameservers to:
ns1.force9.net
ns2.force9.net
Then you will need to let PlusNet know that you have pointed your domain at PlusNet's servers by Opening a Ticket with Technical Support.
Then if all gos well with in 24h your domain will point to your PlusNet web space, plus you will be able to send & receive emails with your domain name.
You can keep your domain name with the domain name registrar.

2) The wrong way use a frame forwarding.
Your choice.