cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website Upload takes ages

OshB5
Grafter

Website Upload takes ages

HiAll im using Cute FTP to upload my website. There is about 60meg and it seams to take hours to upload. and this seams to take place eveytime i change somthing even though its only a small thing. Is there a program like cute ftp that will only update to the website the files that I have updated by my changes to the website Say via a date thing or somthing along these lines so it dont take hours. And only sends whats been changed. I have lots of photos hence why its 60meg. Regards Andy
2 REPLIES 2
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Website Upload takes ages

Your upload speed will determine how long it takes to upload.
Are you on ADSL Max or one of the fixed speed products? The fixed speed products have a fixed upload speed of 288Kbs whereas on Max this can be 432Kbs (832Kbs on Max premium).
Can't help with an free FTP client that only uploads changed/new files. I use Dreamweaver which has a way to identify changed files but it is never 100% accurate. One of the problems you are likely to have is time differences between local PC and server which tends to make copying changed files very inconsistent.
OshB5
Grafter

Re: Website Upload takes ages

Hi I am on ADSL Max even though i still only get just over 1mb speed about the same as when i was on normal. I would still have thught it should take a lot less time than it does take. I have noticed though there seams to be a lot of times outs and i get the reply from the server in the logs that say somting and waiting 60 seconds to retry. And the Cute FTP is a full version so not bothered if i have to buy  decent one or not. I am using Website X5 to do the website but its upload part is a load of crp and never uploads any of the file correct and always misses photo files. So a good wedsite that includes a ftp might be a safe bet Did you say dreamwaver is good as i am sure somwhere in the house i have a boxed one of these it might be a few years old though LOL. I will have to have a look