cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam setup longshot!!??

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Webcam setup longshot!!??

Okay this is a shot in the dark in the hope that someone has succeeded where I have so far failed. (millions of you I guess)
Want to set up a web cam.
Have (for test purposes) built in Apple Mac camera
Software App is Evocam for Mac
Router is a Netgear DG834n
I've gone through the services setup and the firewall rules to create the port forwarding but get no joy using the Joomla Webcam XP by Jooglar component on my Joomla powered web site. Evo cam uses this address to view locally http://192.168.0.2:8080/webcam.html and my static address is correct on my website. I've set up port forwarding to 192.168.0.2 but all I get is an error message.
The server at 84.92.xxx.xxx is taking too long to respond.

I know it's probably more to do with my router settings as the firewall within the Mac is open for evo cam. I had no problems with my old router, a dg 814 but I'm baffled with this one.
Using Evo Cam because it has a motion sensor built in and it will email am image if movement is detected. An ideal security set up. Built in Camera will be substituted later for either a USB2 cam, Firewire cam, a WiFi cam or an IP Cam. But first I need to get this sorted.
Any help greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
samuria
Grafter

Re: Webcam setup longshot!!??

If you give us your site we could take a look. I assume you have forwarded port 8080 to the pc. It could be something to do with java the camera uses. It works ok locally does it?
How are you testing it as with most routers you cant connect to the fixed IP from within your own network
Word_Warrior
Grafter

After some experimentation I think it is a path error in the component in Joomla but I'm yet to figure out why.
I've put two links on my web site "Webcam" and "Webcam 2"
The first is the link to the webcam component on my Joomla site where I think the path problem is the cause.
The second is literally a wrapper for the direct URL to the camera output.
This proves that the port forwarding is correctly set up at least.
EDIT POINT: Links deleted now that problem is solved.
It's occured to me that the component in Joomla is superfluous if I can just create a wrapper for the camera URL  Crazy
Thanks for help everyone.
Not applicable

Can confirm what you already know - Link "Webcam1" doesn't do anything, and "Webcam2" link works fine.
Liking the Blues Brothers poster. Wink
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
Can confirm what you already know - Link "Webcam1" doesn't do anything, and "Webcam2" link works fine.
Liking the Blues Brothers poster. Wink

Ooooeeerrrrr!!!
Think I better find a better subject to point to. Maybe use camcorder to point outside. Glad you mentioned the poster and not the junk around me!!! I really ought to tidy up Roll_eyes
Blues brothers poster is for the show at the Birmingham Hippodrome a few years back. What a great show! Wish they'd revive it.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Just when I thought it was cracked Firefox 3 won't show the web cam image. firefox 2.xx does as does Safari 3 and I assume IE x but I havn't tried that.
Any clues, Firefox implies firewall settings but I don't have a clue.