cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam bandwidth usage and fair use policy.

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Webcam bandwidth usage and fair use policy.

As detailed in another thread on this forum I am experimenting with a web cam set up with some success (eventually).
I was wondering however, what implications does this have on my bandwidth use and fair use policy. Am I likely to get a letter from PN telling me to cease and desist?
Tech info:
Currently using home camcorder connected by Firewire to my Apple iMac I'm using Evological's Evo Cam software which presents a Java Applet of the pictures. It currently has a refresh rate of 10 seconds but can be switched to whatever I want, including always on.
I was toying with the idea of rigging an IP Camera up so as not to have to worry about my mac being on all the time (would this effect my usage as opposed to my firewire camera)
I don't expect too much traffic viewing the pictures so it's unlikely to crash the system but you never know.
Some guidance on this would be appreciated.
web cam ouput can be viewed here:-
http://www.bromsgroverfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=201
If you are interested in what is currently a really dull picture whilst under test. Wink
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Webcam bandwidth usage and fair use policy.

That's a very exciting tree Smiley
I had a look at their website, but I couldn't see any bandwidth specs at all (the website is horrible to read too!).  But I'd expect it to be very small amounts of data, so I wouldn't worry too much - Just keep an eye on the usage tool and see if you notice much change.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
That's a very exciting tree Smiley Thanks James, it's about the best thing out through my office window without pointing it at peoples windows and I thought that might raise an eyebrow or two  Cheesy
I had a look at their website, but I couldn't see any bandwidth specs at all (the website is horrible to read too!).  I take it you mean Plus nets website not mine Huh
But I'd expect it to be very small amounts of data, so I wouldn't worry too much - Just keep an eye on the usage tool and see if you notice much change. Thanks for this, It's what I thought but thought I'd check, coz I wasn't sure
James
Grafter

Nah, I meant the Evological Evo Cam page.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Nah, I meant the Evological Evo Cam page.

Oh, silly me Embarrassed
Hence the 'their' not 'our' website. I guess you loved mine then Grin I suppose I should mosey over 'their' and take a look.
James
Grafter

I think they need a tree to cheer it up a bit Smiley
Word_Warrior
Grafter

I think they need a tree to cheer it up a bit Smiley

I could pan it around a bit to show the Worms Ash TV repeater on the skyline for you Roll_eyes Or is it Thunderbird 3 on the launch pad? :LOL:
Or is the tree enough excitement for one day?
James
Grafter

I don't think I can cope with anymore.