Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webalizer Stats

ianscales
Grafter

Webalizer Stats

New forum, new plea !!!!!!!!!
I posted on the old forum with regards to setting up 'Webalizer' to view all my stats rather than the few entries that are available through the portal, in a nutshell the post dried up and I gave up  Embarrassed
This morning I have started from scratch and followed the tutorial but seem to be getting stuck in about the same area again.
Basically, after setting it all up as per the tutorial, when I Telnet ./getwwwstats.pl I get the error message 'Permission denied' - I have tried combinations of ftp & ccgi passwords to no avail.
Anybody got any ideas?, ideally someone who has this up and running that could advise me.
Ian
23 REPLIES 23
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Webalizer Stats

Quote from: ianscales
Basically, after setting it all up as per the tutorial, when I Telnet ./getwwwstats.pl I get the error message 'Permission denied' - I have tried combinations of ftp & ccgi passwords to no avail.

Why are you using telnet, you should be using vi to edit the file. Or do you mean when you telnet to your cshell and run the command you get a permission denied?
Try using chmod 750 *.pl instead of 700.
Post an ls -lai of your webalizer directory.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I posted on the old forum with regards to setting up 'Webalizer' to view all my stats rather than the few entries that are available through the portal, in a nutshell the post dried up and I gave up  Embarrassed
This morning I have started from scratch and followed the tutorial but seem to be getting stuck in about the same area again.
Anybody got any ideas?

Hi Ian,
Used to run Webalizer (separately) to get info like all the country stats and other factors that the portal stats don't supply (gave up using it in the end as it used to crash when we had heavy-traffic days).
However Gareth Horth kindly put together an idiot's-type-guide (I'm not much good with technical stuff) for me to have a go at setting it up again.  Never got there - life here is somewhat hectic - but for whatever it's worth, I'll post up the files here (if I can figure out how to do that) so you can see if there's anything in there that might help with sorting out the issues you're experiencing.
Regards,
Penny.
footnote: the Comm Site won't let me upload anything but .jpg or .gif files.  Is there no facility to add other types of documents here?
Later: the three files now uploaded at http://www.happychild.org.uk/ZZZZcommsite/
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
James
Grafter

Penny,
Why don't you just upload it to your webspace and then link from there?
ianscales
Grafter

Yes Peter, the latter.
I've changed the chmod to 750 and that actually takes me a stage further to where I got last year with the error message 'First ever run - if you keep getting this then there are no webstats files'
I've tried copying the .gz files to other directories but it doesn't seem to be able to see them, presumebly I've got a link wrong somewhere.
What is an 'ls -lai' ?
Thanks
Ian
ianscales
Grafter

Thanks Penny, I'll contact you directly via your site if that's O.K.
Ian
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Penny
...footnote: the Comm Site won't let me upload anything but .jpg or .gif files.  Is there no facility to add other types of documents here?

Quote from: James
Penny,
Why don't you just upload it to your webspace and then link from there?

I take it there's no facility to add them here, then  Roll_eyes
Don't tend to put dowload items on the website if I can help it, mainly to minimise bandwidth usage wherever possible.
However I've done as you asked and will add the links from the post above.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
James
Grafter

At least it means you can't upload a 1.5GB .avi for people to download Wink
Thanks Penny.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: James
Thanks Penny.

yw Smiley
Thanks Penny, I'll contact you directly via your site if that's O.K.

Well the files are now linked from the post further up this thread - you're welcome to e-mail via the site but please bear in mind I might not be able to answer any related questions 😕 - could however pass on any queries to Gareth, who wrote this guide for me because I couldn't follow the instructions on the portal help guide.
Regards,
Penny.
ianscales
Grafter

Thanks Penny, I appreciatte your time, I've downloaded them but going offline now, will take a look tomorrow.
Thanks
Ian
ianscales
Grafter

I'm a step closer now, if I telnet ./getwwwstats.pl it runs and processes 8 events but doesn't add any files to the www directory.
If I type 'http://ccgi.username.plus.com/webalizer/www/' into the browser it returns page not found as there's nothing there.
My output file is set to "/files/home2/username/webalizer/www"
ianscales
Grafter

Peter, I've worked out what you meant now  Wink
rafmtd@cshell01:~/webalizer$ ls -lai
total 184
2827683 drwx---r-x  4 rafmtd cgiusers  4096 Aug  2 12:13 .
3272033 drwxr-x--T  7 rafmtd nogroup    4096 Aug  1 13:42 ..
6496330 -rw-------  1 rafmtd cgiusers  12288 Nov 18  2006 .wwwstats.conf.swo
6496331 -rw-------  1 rafmtd cgiusers  12288 Nov 18  2006 .wwwstats.conf.swp
6630798 -rw-r-----  1 rafmtd cgiusers    280 Aug  2 12:13 both.cron
6905444 drwx---r-x  2 rafmtd cgiusers  4096 Aug  1 10:07 cgi
2827686 -rw-r-----  1 rafmtd cgiusers    210 Aug  2 12:13 cgistats.conf
2827685 -rw-r-----  1 rafmtd cgiusers  4031 Aug  2 12:13 getcgistats.pl
6630792 -rwxr-x---  1 rafmtd cgiusers  4026 Aug  2 12:13 getwwwstats.pl
6630797 -rw-r-----  1 rafmtd cgiusers  1881 Aug  2 12:13 web_files.tgz
6630796 -rw-r-----  1 rafmtd cgiusers  1881 Aug  2 12:13 web_files.tgz.1
6630795 -rw-r-----  1 rafmtd cgiusers    138 Aug  2 12:13 webalizer.cron
6905443 drwx---r-x  2 rafmtd cgiusers  4096 Aug  2 12:01 www
6630794 -rw-r-----  1 rafmtd cgiusers 109666 Aug  2 12:13 www.rafmtd.co.uk.gz
6630793 -rw-r-----  1 rafmtd cgiusers    199 Aug  2 12:13 wwwstats.conf
-----------------------
I'm going away for a few days so won't be able to get on the cgi server although I will be able to get online to check this forum.
Thanks
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Are there actually any files in the www directory?
try the following in the webalizer directory:
$ chmod 770 . cgi www

i.e. set the perms on the 2 directories and the webalizer directory (. = current directory) as above and see if you get any files written after running the .pl (remember to delete the webstats_www_status first and it will download the files and process them again).
ianscales
Grafter

Thanks Peter, I'll try that when I get home Monday, can't access ccgi from this mobile connection.
Ian
ianscales
Grafter

Hi Peter,
There are no files in the www dir
I have set the 3 directories to 770 and deleted the webstats_www_status file, run ./getwwwstats.pl again and nothing except the new webstats_www_status appear in the www directory
when I run ./getwwwstats.pl it processes 8 files which I understand to be correct.
Embarrassed