cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web server down (not Pnet) and can't make contact!

newinvention
Grafter

Web server down (not Pnet) and can't make contact!

I work for a small rural business whose website has been hosted by a one man band in for 4-5 years. The chap there is very helpful, but has had long spells in hospital when you can't get hold of him. Anyway, yesterday the server must have gone down since we can't send/receive emails, get on to the control panel, get webmail and the website is offline. I cannot get hold of my contact by phone and so far no reply by email. We need to move the site over to another host really (should have done before) - will we be able to do this if the current web host cannot be contacted?
Thanks  Huh
4 REPLIES 4
Gabe
Grafter

Re: Web server down (not Pnet) and can't make contact!

Is your domain registered elsewhere and do you have control of the DNS settings? Do you have a recent backup of your site's content?
Gabe
newinvention
Grafter

Hi - the site's domain name was registered by the now web host I think (it was before my time). Yes I have a copy of the site's content - how do I find out whether I have control of the DNS settings?
Gabe
Grafter

If the web host registered the domain in their own name, you may have more of a problem. You can do a whois lookup (google for whois) to see to whom the domain is registered and who the sponsoring registrar is.
Gabe
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this one gives the info Sarah  (mums not in Norton anymore)  http://who.is/