cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web pages spread viruses?

Pancho
Grafter

Web pages spread viruses?

Just been reading PC-Pro, which has just arrived. (April edition) There is an article about web pages being infected and used to spread viruses. As I have some web pages with Plus I am concerned about this. When I upload a modified page I often get the message that the page on the server is newer than the one I am just going to upload. I usually ignore this but should I be more concerned? I don't know. The main thing is I don't want my pages infected. Does Plus Net scan the web pages on its servers with a virus checker? I don't know. How can I protect my site from such an attack? I have no idea. The main thing is do I have to worry about it and do something? The article also states that emails with attachments including a virus is now small fry compared with this problem. I had to close a guest book a while ago as I got tired of removing the constant amount of spam it collected. Suggestion to Plus: - Can I request a scan of my site and get a report?
3 REPLIES 3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Web pages spread viruses?

Dont you have an anti virus and firewall? If not I would recommend you get avg antivirus (Free) quick http://www.grisoft.com/
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

PlusNet do not scan your webspace for virus or other naties.
Are you using dreamweaver to upload your pages. If so it is well known it does not always handle time differences between your local system and the server and sometimes thinks the server has later dated files. This could also be because your local system is windows and the server uses *nix. This also normally only happens when you do several updates in a row.
Also the problem normally only affects websites that use scripting where the scripts have a flaw/bugs allowing external access to your website using various hacking methods. Things like forums or blogs can be succeptable which is why you should always keep them up to date.
Also they can use known flaws in various browsers / OSs to infect your system so keeping your browser and OS up to date will minimise any risks.

Pancho
Grafter

Thank you. The pages I am concerned about are not on my computer. I do have Firewall and Anti-Virus on my machines here. The pages I refer to are the ones on the Plus Net Server. I do use a version of Dreamweaver so thanks for that expanation. I have a few Java scripts on pages, mostly to hide my email address from spammers (I do not use the mailto: link) While I often scan my computer for viruses and spyware - usually when I can't think of anything else to do before doing something else like washing up or dusting I would have thought Plus would scan their own equipment for such things. Is that right that they don't or for some reason don't need to?
If I don't need to worry about it then I will carry on as before.  Grin (I don't like emoticons - they are not 'me'. I like nice backgrounds but not 'nudges' or 'winks')